Alec Zacaroli's practice focuses primarily on environmental counseling and litigation, with a particular emphasis on federal and state air pollution control law. He has represented a variety of clients, including several large multinational corporations, in environmental enforcement matters, toxic tort litigation, MTBE product liability litigation, and administrative and judicial challenges to federal and state rulemakings and other agency actions. Alec also provides clients with regulatory compliance counseling with respect to a wide array of environmental laws and regulations, and assists clients with environmental due diligence. He specializes in Clean Air Act law, but also has experience litigating and counseling clients with respect to CERCLA, RCRA, the Clean Water Act and other federal and state pollution control laws.
Alec has authored numerous articles and papers on Clean Air Act legal issues and regulatory developments, addressing such topics as climate change and the regulation of greenhouse gasses under the Clean Air Act, new source review developments and Clean Air Act evidentiary matters. He also is co-editor of the ABA's Clean Air Act Handbook, and has been recognized as Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer in the area of environmental law.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Alec worked as an environmental journalist for seven years, both on daily newspapers and with the Bureau of National Affairs, Inc. He also is the co-founder of 25:40, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping children impacted by AIDS in southern Africa.
- Best Lawyers in America in Environmental Litigation, 2013-2015
- Selected for inclusion in Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, Environmental Law, 2014
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
Selected Publications and Speeches
- "Clean Air Act: New Developments That Are Redefining the Enforcement Landscape," Bloomberg BNA Daily Environment Report, October 29, 2014.
- The Clean Air Act Handbook, Chapter 3, Meeting Ambient Air Quality Standards, ABA Publications, Third Edition, 2011.
- The Clean Air Act Handbook, Chapter 17, Civil Enforcement, co-author with Julie Domike, ABA Publications, Third Edition, 2011.
- The Clean Air Act Handbook, ABA Publications, co-editor with Julie Domike, Third Edition, July 2011.
- "EPA Begins Regulation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions Under the Clean Air Act - Analysis & Perspective," co-author with Julie Domike, BNA Daily Environment Report and Environment Reporter, December 2009.
- "Legal Developments Related to Greenhouse Gas Emissions," EHS Strategies, November 2008.
- "Legal Developments Related to Greenhouse Gas Emissions," BNA Daily Environment Reporter, June 2008.
- The Clean Air Act Handbook, Chapter 17, Civil Enforcement, co-author with Julie Domike, ABA Publications, Second Edition, 2004.
- "Reinterpretation of NSR Regulations Could Have Costly Implications for Business - Analysis & Perspective," co-author with Julie Domike, BNA Environment Reporter, March 2000.
- "Court Rulings Imperil EPA's Efforts to Clamp Down on Ozone Pollution - Analysis & Perspective," BNA Environment Reporter, June 1999.
- "EPA Forges Ahead with Trading Plan in Face of Criticism, Uncertainties - Special Report," BNA Daily Report for Executives, May 1998.
- "Suits Proliferate Over Small Business, Scientific Issues in New Rules - Special Report, BNA Daily Report for Executives, September 1997.
- "Any Credible Evidence Rule: Changing the Enforcement Landscape? - Special Report," BNA Daily Report for Executives, February 1997.