Ann Saegert began practicing in the Real Estate Section of Haynes and Boone in 1978, and served as Chair of the Real Estate Section from 2000 to 2007. Her practice focuses primarily on:
- Representation of funds, pension plans and advisers, REITs and other institutional investors in all aspects of real estate and hotel transactions
- Representation of corporate real estate users in managing and leveraging their portfolios, as well as headquarters and retail acquisitions and dispositions
- Traditional, structured and layered finance arrangements, both securitized and private.
During the course of her practice, Ann has been involved with structuring, documenting and negotiating numerous office, industrial, hotel and special use portfolios throughout the United States, as well as active involvement in all aspects of a number of mixed use projects.
Community and Professional Activities
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- ULI North Texas 2009 Volunteer of the Year
- Vice President at Large of Urban Development/Mixed Use Council Bronze Council
- Executive Committee of the North Texas ULI, and
- ULI Advisory Panel in Osceola County, Florida
- Dallas Real Estate Council
- Former Chair of the Dallas Real Estate Council Associate Leadership Council, and
- Former Board and Executive Committee Member
- Board of the Dallas Area Red Cross
- President of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- Former Council of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the American Bar Association
- U.S. Treasurer of the Anglo American Real Property Institute
- Board of Trustees of Texas Lutheran University
Ann is a frequent author and speaker at various industry and legal conferences throughout the United States and Europe and has been recognized as a "best lawyer" by various publications, including Chambers, the International Bar Association, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, Texas Monthly and D Magazine.
Recent Publications, Speeches and Articles
- "Acquisition of Distressed Debt," 2009 Mortgage Lending Institute, University of Texas School of Law, September and October 2009
- "Capitalizing on Commercial Real Estate Opportunities," Weathering the Storm: Opportunities in Adversity, Haynes and Boone, LLP and Ernst & Young, LLP, June 16, 2009, Dallas, Texas
- "Basic Primer on Shari'a Compliant Finance," State Bar of Texas, Advanced Real Estate Strategies, October 17–19, 2007, San Diego, California
- Named a finalist for Texas Lawyer's Go-To Guide - Real Estate (2012)
- Recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America - Real Estate Law (2006-2014)
- Recognized in The International Who's Who of Real Estate Lawyers (2013)
- Recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer - Real Estate Law (2006-2013)
- Recognized as one of the Best Women Lawyers in Dallas - Commercial Real Estate (D Magazine, 2010)
- Recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in Dallas - Real Estate Law (D Magazine 2007-2010, 2012)
- Recognized as one of the leading practitioners in the United States Real Estate (Chambers USA, 2004-2013)
- Martindale Hubbell® Law Directory with a Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™
Selected Representative Experience
Monetization of Energy Infrastructure Assets - Sale-Leaseback of Natural Gas Liquids Pipeline Gathering System
Represented publicly traded energy exploration and production company in connection with a $225 million sale-leaseback of a natural gas liquids pipeline gathering system.
Acquisition of Industrial Buildings in Southern California
Acquisition of industrial buildings located in Southern California and formation of investment partnerships with CTRI.
Debt Restructure and Collections
Represented Southwest Savings Association, Bonnet Resources, Amresco, and Sunbelt Savings Association in connection with the collection of hundreds of loans including, real property foreclosures, personal property foreclosures, litigation, demands for payment, restructurings, and bankruptcies. These loans covered all industries and involved many novel factual and legal issues.
First Japanese Bank Real Estate Restructuring
Represented a syndicate of Japanese banks in connection with their first ever restructuring of a real estate credit facility in the United States, the $300,000,000 corporate headquarters of 7-Eleven, Inc.
International Technology Company in Sale Leaseback
Represented international technology company in the sale leaseback of its U.S. campuses.
Development of Multi-Use Community
Development, financing, partnership, and leasing of Victory Park, a new 75-acre office, hotel, retail and residential community in downtown Dallas, adjacent to the American Airlines Center.
Sale of Assets - Resort and Hotel
Sale of resort and hotel assets and an office asset for a gross purchase price of more than $600 million.