Ariel Zell is an associate in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group in the New York office of Haynes and Boone, LLP. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, public and private securities offerings, venture capital investments and other strategic transactions in a broad range of industries. Ariel also advises clients on general corporate, securities compliance and reporting matters.
Selected Client Representations
- Represented an Israel-based bio-technology company in its $11 million private placement transaction.
- Represented a Brazilian business technology company in its acquisition of a U.S.-based identification card manufacturer.
- Represented a venture capital fund in its initial financing of a mobile photograph start-up company.
- Represented a regional power company in its $3.5 billion strategic merger.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in its $68 billion strategic acquisition.
- Represented the special committee of the board of directors of a national restaurant chain in the sale of the company to management.
- Represented a healthcare-dedicated investment firm in its Series A financing of a biotech company focusing on the development of therapeutic antibodies.
- Represented a privately held family company in its tender offer for all outstanding common stock of a regional oil and gas company.
- Represented an international chemical company in its offering of $2.75 billion high yield notes and $3.25 billion bankruptcy plan roll-up notes, as part of its exit financing.
- Represented an international building materials company in its $450 million 144A/Regulation S private placement of unsecured notes.
Prior to joining Haynes and Boone, Ariel was an associate in the corporate department of Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP.
Selected Representative Experience
Equity Rollover Transaction
Represent U.S. sellers in an equity rollover transaction in which a U.S. private equity firm acquired a controlling interest in the target U.S. and Canadian businesses.
Movie Theater Merger
Represented Movie Tavern, Inc. in its merger with and into a subsidiary of VSS-Southern Theatres, LLC.
FirstCity Financial Corporation
Represented FirstCity Financial Corporation in merger with affiliates of Värde Partners, Inc., pursuant to which FirstCity became a privately held entity.
Multi-Billion Pension Fund Purchase
Represented Afore XXI in its bid and agreement to acquire Afore Bancomer from Spain’s Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (BBVA) for about $1.6 billion. Conducted due diligence, gave regulatory and corporate advice and worked on the Mexican and New York legal aspects of the bid documents and transaction agreements.
Deutsche Bank/Green Energy Team Hawaii Biomass Project
Represented Deutsche Bank Securities Inc., as Mandated Lead Arranger and Lender for a $76.1 million loan facility to fund construction of a 7.5-megawatt (net) biomass-to-energy facility on the island of Kaua'i, Hawaii.