Bill Kleinman focuses on corporate, securities and technology law. His experience includes public offerings and private finance, mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, corporate governance, SEC/S-OX compliance, and technology/commercial contracting.
Bill is a member of the ABA's Task Force on Legal Project Management. He assists general counsel and corporations that have robust legal needs by coordinating service delivery, project management and budgeting across all sections of the firm.
Bill was recognized by Best Lawyers in America in Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2012-2013 and is AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory.
Bill's recent transactional matters include:
- Represented a private equity-backed international manufacturer in its acquisition of a U.S. operation focused on oilfield equipment, in order to enter the U.S. market.
- Represented companies in industries such as telecommunications hardware, enterprise software, wireless PCS and international distribution in IPOs, public offerings of equity and debt and 144A transactions
- Represented buyers and sellers of companies in industries such as technology, software, service, and industrial products in mergers, stock and asset acquisitions, auctions, private equity and ESOP transactions
- Represented publicly traded companies in connection with corporate governance matters, defensive measures and SEC reporting and compliance
- Represented industrial and service companies in connection with the formation of domestic and international joint ventures and strategic partnerships
- Represented start-up companies and their investors in segments such as VOIP, network processors, semiconductors, outsourcing and internet media in seed and venture capital fundings, stock option plans, stockholder agreements and strategic agreements
Bill graduated as a chemical engineer, and he has a broad understanding of the science and technology that drive today's most innovative companies. He helps companies implement technology intensive business strategies and transactions, and turn their technology advantage into competitive advantage. Bill has represented companies in the following industries:
- Chemicals Manufacturing
- Clean Tech
- Communications Security
- Consumer Products
- Defense Electronics and Equipment
- Industrial Equipment
- Internet Media
- Oil and Gas
- Power and Utilities
- Remote Medicine
- Telecom Hardware
- Telecom Services
- Telecom Software
- Wireless Voice and Data
Publications and Presentations
- "Challenges of Strategic Transactions," Association for Excellence in Corporate Development, September 20, 2012; June 4, 2013.
- "Strategic Partnerships in the Cloud," white paper, April 19, 2012.
- "Integration between In-House and Outside Counsel," GC Netweavers, February 2012.
- "Best Practices for Corporate Governance and Compliance," (Book Chapter), Inside the Minds, Co-Author with Larry Gaydos, Aspatore Books, 2008.
- "Managing Reputation Risk," Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals, 2007.
- "Above and Beyond," The Deal, 2004.
- "Directors' Duty to Respond to Whistleblower Reports and Implement a Compliance Program," Directorship, 2003.
- "The (Developing) Role of the Legal Department Under 404," American Society of Corporate Secretaries, 2004.
- "Attorney Standards of Professional Conduct: Practical Implications for Legal Departments and Law Firms," Haynes and Boone's Corporate Officers Forum 2003.
- "Sarbanes-Oxley Codes of Ethics: Practical Considerations," Haynes and Boone Legal Officers Forum, 2002.
- "The Board's Duty of Oversight," Haynes and Boone Legal Officers Forum, 2002.
- "Practical Aspects of Going Public," Haynes and Boone Legal Officers Forum, 2002.
Honors and Recognitions
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America in Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2012-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent
Selected Representative Experience
Doedijns Acquires Logan Industries
Represented Doedijns International, a private equity-backed international manufacturer of hydraulic systems, in its acquisition of Logan Industries, a U.S. operation focused on oilfield equipment, in order to enter the U.S. market.
TAOS Combines with austriamicrosystems AG (SIX: AMS)
Texas Advanced Optoelectronic Solutions, Inc. (TAOS), a leading optoelectronic solutions provider, combines with austriamicrosystems AG (SIX: AMS), a leading global designer and manufacturer of high-performance analog integrated circuits in a strategic transaction valued at $320 million for cash and stock of AMS.
EF Johnson Technologies, Inc. Going-Private Sale
Represented publicly traded EF Johnson Technologies, Inc. in a going-private sale of the company to private equity firm Francisco Partners II, L.P.
Represented TMC Aerospace in its purchase of assets from Secart, LLC.
Merger of Audiocodes, Inc. and Netrake Corporation
Represented Netrake Inc. in multiple venture capital financings culminating in the sale of the strategic company to AudioCodes Ltd.
Accelacom Baltimore Asset Sale
Represented venture-backed wireless data company airBand Communications Inc. in the expansion of its market through the acquisition of Accelacom Baltimore, Inc.