Firm Experience and Recognition in Latin America
- Chambers Latin America 2013 ranked Haynes and Boone, LLP Latin America-wide for its corporate/M&A work and international arbitration.
- In 2011, Latin Lawyer 250 cites the Haynes and Boone as having “a strong base and deal list in the region” [Latin America].
- Americas Practice Group consists of approximately 50 lawyers working in Mexico City, Dallas, Houston, New York, and Washington, D.C. with experience in more than 35 countries.
- Honored for its role in the Amapá Mineração transaction, one of Trade Finance Magazine's 2007 Deals of the Year, where it acted as international counsel for MMX Mineração e Metálicos S.A. (MMX).
- Successfully completed the negotiation and financing of an integrated iron-ore mining and infrastructure logistics project for MMX Mineracao e Metalicos SA (MMX), a Brazilian company listed on the São Paulo and Toronto Exchange.
Para ler os artigos em Português publicados pelos advogados do Haynes and Boone, clique aqui.
Haynes and Boone, LLP maintains a cooperation agreement with Brazil law firm MMA Lawyers, headquartered in Rio de Janeiro. Together, the two independent firms serve clients in Brazil, the United States, China, and around the world. For more information, click here.
Haynes and Boone has extensive experience in advising clients in cross-border matters involving Brazil, and in particular advising foreign companies investing in Brazil and in cross-border lending. We also have excellent experience advising Brazilian clients, as evidenced by our representation of MMX Mineração e Metálicos S.A. (MMX) in connection with the financing of an integrated iron-ore mining and infrastructure logistics project relating to MMX's Amapá mining facility, which was selected 2008 “Latin American Deal of the Year” by Trade Finance Magazine. In addition, leading industry publications such as Chambers Latin America 2013 and Latin Lawyer 250 (2011) have cited the firm’s experience in Brazil. We have worked with a large number of the leading law firms in Brazil as part of our service to our clients and have had Brazilian foreign associates from several of these leading firms work with us in our offices.
Our experience in Brazil includes:
- Served as lead counsel to MMX in connection with financing of an integrated iron-ore mining and infrastructure logistics project relating to MMX's Amapá mining facility.
- Served as lead counsel for multiple vendors in connection with negotiation and implementation of a $700 million multi-party turnkey wireless telecommunications project in Brazil.
- Served as lead counsel to lenders for a $72 million project finance loan for steel mini-mill in Brazil.
- Served as lead counsel to lenders in connection with a $200 million project financing of Brazilian wireless telecommunications company.
- Served as lead counsel to the seller/lessee on the sale-leaseback and $36 million project financing of two 18-KW diesel-fired generators in Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, Brazil.
- Served as lead counsel to secured creditor in connection with the $135 million restructuring of a Brazilian telecommunications company.
- Advised Colombian national oil company Ecopetrol in its joint operating agreement (JOA) with ExxonMobil and Petrobras.
- Served as counsel to a large European lead bank in $180 million acquisition of Enron's Eletrobolt power plant by Brazil's national oil company Petrobras.
- Advised U.S. multinationals in their labor planning and coordination of labor litigation in Brazil.
- Advised U.S. multinational in the purchase and sale of distressed loan portfolios in Brazil.
- Represented multinationals with their franchise work in Brazil.
- Represented IT outsourcing companies with their IT outsourcing projects in Brazil.
- Represented Sabre in the sale of its outsourcing business in Brazil.
- Represented Sabre in licensing agreements in Brazil.
- Represented Aviall in successfully obtaining Brazilian merger clearance before the Brazilian competition authorities in connection with its merger with Boeing.
- Prosecution of anti-dumping cases before the ITC in connection with Brazilian companies.
- Represented Brazilian companies in obtaining U.S. visas.
To view an overview of Haynes and Boone's experience in Latin America, visit Americas Practice Group.