Brent A. Folsom is counsel in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the Orange County office of Haynes and Boone. He specializes in intellectual property matters, with an emphasis on patent prosecution. In particular, his practice focuses on the preparation and prosecution of patents in a variety of technologies including computer software, electronics, semiconductors, business methods, and the mechanical arts.
Brent represents and counsels technology-based clients of all sizes, ranging from start-ups to established international corporations. In addition to patent prosecution, other aspects of his practice include intellectual property litigation, licensing, and the preparation of opinions pertaining to intellectual property rights.
In addition to his law degree, Brent holds a B.S. in electrical engineering.
Speeches and Publications
- "IP Patent Law Panel," participant, UC Irvine School of Law, August 26, 2014.
- "Introduction to Patents," presentation to UC Irvine School of Engineering, Irvine, CA, May 7, 2014.
- "Intellectual Property Practice," presentation to USC Gould School of Law, April 21, 2014.
- "Introduction to Patents," presentation to UC Irvine School of Engineering, Irvine, CA, February 19, 2014.
- "IP Patent Law Panel," participant, UC Irvine School of Law, November 18, 2013.
- "Intellectual Property Law Careers Panel," participant, University of San Diego School of Law, March 26, 2012.
- "Careers in Patent Law," presentation to UC Irvine School of Engineering, November 29, 2011.
- "Conformity is a Virtue: The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Proposes Changes to the Duty of Disclosure to Match the Therasense Standard," co-author, July 26, 2011.
- "Weathering the Storm: Third Circuit Concurring Opinion Supports Trademark Licensees' Retention of Rights in Bankruptcy Cases," co-author, October 27, 2010.
- "Reverse Confusion: Fundamentals and Limits," The Journal of Contemporary Legal Issues, Volume 12, Issue 1, 2001.
- State Bar of California
- Orange County Patent Law Association