Elizabeth Smith is an associate in the Business Litigation Practice Group in the Fort Worth office of Haynes and Boone, LLP. Elizabeth was listed as a Top Attorney of Fort Worth in Civil Litigation by Fort Worth, Texas, The City's Magazine, 2012.
Selected Client Representations
- Assisted in successful defense of individual directors of a corporation against claims by a minority shareholder over the proceeds of an insurance policy. The minority shareholder (previously a majority shareholder and CEO) brought various claims against the directors for minority shareholder oppression, breaches of fiduciary duties, and fraud. Haynes and Boone obtained summary judgment in favor of all clients on all claims, including claims of minority shareholder oppression, arguing in part that Delaware law did not recognize such claims.
- Assisted in the defense of fraud claims arising out of plaintiff's investment of millions in a drilling rig and oil and gas interests. Haynes and Boone entered the case more than one year into the litigation, and obtained a summary judgment in favor of clients resulting in settlement of the case several months later.
- "Buyer's Remorse: Successor Liability after the Sale," co-author, The University of Texas School of Law 30th Annual Jay L. Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference, November 17-18, 2011.
- "'A Rough Sense of Justice' or 'Practical Politics'? The Texas Supreme Court, Causation and Chapter 33," co-author, 33rd Annual Advanced Civil Trial Course, June 2010, State Bar of Texas.
- "Drilling a Hole in the Water Supply: Regulation of Injection Wells in Texas," 10 Tex. Tech. Admin. L. J. 267 (2008).
- State Bar of Texas
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association
- Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court
- American Red Cross Chisholm Trail Chapter, Board Member
Selected Representative Experience