George Y. Gonzalez is a partner in the Energy, Mergers and Acquisitions and International Practice Groups in the Houston office of Haynes and Boone, LLP. He counsels U.S. and Latin American businesses in general corporate law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate control matters, securities, privately held companies and international legal issues.
George advises seasoned corporate clients in both the U.S. and international contexts. Industries represented include energy, oil and gas, midstream, upstream, downstream, power, food and beverage, infrastructure, real estate, and technology, among others. He counsels public and private corporations and other businesses on their corporate, partnership or other limited liability structure; provides guidance on day-to-day operating and transactions strategies; and negotiates combination, service agreements, public private partnerships (P3), and other transactions.
George has written or presented material on a variety of topics including the intellectual property provisions of NAFTA, renewable energy in Mexico, private equity opportunities within the U.S. Hispanic market, and the manner in which an international corporation may list securities on a U.S. stock exchange through the use of American Depository Receipts.
George has negotiated on behalf of clients in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Guatemala, Mexico, Spain and Venezuela, among other countries. Additionally, he has participated in panel discussions regarding business developments in Mexico, Peru, Colombia, Canada, Venezuela, Chile and the Andean regions. George studied for a year as a Rotary Graduate Scholar in 1991 at the Universidad Católica de Valparaíso, Chile.
In 2010, George was named One of the Top 100 Influential Hispanics in the U.S. in Hispanic Business magazine's October issue.
- Represented a Fortune 50 oil and gas multinational in several retail asset sale transactions throughout the U.S.
- Represented a retail electricity provider in connection with acquisition of assets of a competing business.
- Represented a retail electricity provider in connection with the sale of equity to a competing business.
- Represented a natural gas pipeline and trading company in connection with a significant equity investment by a private equity group.
- Represented National Energy & Trade Holdings LLC in connection with its tax reorganization and new credit facility.
- Represented a Fortune 500 U.S. energy company in an international joint venture in connection with the development, construction and operation of a 525-MW power plant in Mexico for the Comisión Federal de Electricidad.
- Represented a significant refining company in connection with Latin American and other business operations.
- Represented the purchasing agent subsidiary of a major South American integrated, international oil and gas company in connection with its purchasing contracts and restructuring.
- Represented Kinder Morgan in connection with its cross-border natural gas pipeline and ownership of related assets.
- Represented a Fortune 500 refining company in connection with the structuring of a cross-border pipeline and storage facility in Mexico for LPG.
- Represented a major international drilling services company based in Houston in connection with a request for proposals from British Gas for drilling services in Bolivia.
- Represented a major energy company based in Canada in connection with its enabling agreements and public request for bids for the provision of energy with and before the Mexican Comisión Federal de Electricidad.
- Represented a major pipeline company based in Boston in connection with its formation of a Mexican subsidiary.
- Represented a major energy company based in California in public requests for bids before the Mexican Comisión Federal de Electricidad for the construction of independent power plants in Rio Bravo and Tuxpan.
- Represented Norex Group AS, a Norwegian seismic and oil and gas services company, in connection with the formation of an international data visualization company for the seismic industry with visualization theaters in Houston, London and Australia, and the acquisition of the stock of a Houston-based seismic company.
- Represented AES Gener, the third largest electricity generator in Chile, in the purchase of a Bermuda company with rights to oil and gas concessions in Chile and Argentina.
- Represented a major oil and gas energy company in the acquisition of a preferred stock position in a California company engaged in the regional natural gas transmission and distribution business.
Food and Beverage
- Represented Grupo Modelo with respect to its marketing, distribution and promotion of consumer products in the U.S. and other corporate projects.
- Represented the U.S. expansion of the Rincon Argentino restaurant chain.
- Represented a major international food company with the drafting and negotiation of marketing and distribution agreements in Mexico.
- Represented Maximus Coffee Group in connection with the acquisition of the assets of the Harrisburg coffee processing plant and warehouse complex from Kraft Foods Global.
- Represented Progreso LLC, the special purpose entity formed by the family owners of the La Michoacana restaurants in connection with the roll up of specialty grocery stores.
- Represented Blencor in connection with commercial contracts, executive employment arrangements and immigration issues.
- Represented a large international bank in connection with several loan transactions throughout Texas.
- Represented Barri Remittance Corporation in connection with an equity investment and restructuring.
- Represented SH 130 Concession Company, established by Cintra Infraestructuras, S.A. and Zachry/Hastings, in connection with the joint venture agreement with respect to a $1.36 billion funding package for construction and operation of SH 130 between Austin and Seguin.
Infrastructure and Manufacturing
- Represented a manufacturing conglomerate based in the Northeast in connection with its maquiladora operation in Mexico and associated tax-incentivized arrangements.
- Represented Azurix, a water services company, in connection with the acquisition and construction of water treatment plants in Toluca and León, Mexico.
- Represented a Houston-based real estate and health care conglomerate in connection with a joint venture with a Mexican real estate company in the low-income housing industry in Mexico.
- Represented Eaton Corporation in its acquisition of assets consisting of heavy duty truck parts including clutches from Corporativo DESC in Mexico.
- Represented a Monterrey-based steel company in its acquisition of real estate and flat rolling assets in Texas.
- Represented a major Internet reseller of consumer goods in connection with its formation and structuring of an entity and business structure for Mexico.
- Represented a predecessor to the Hewlett-Packard Company in connection with contractual arrangements with distributors in Latin America.
- Represented a television set-top box Internet services company in its joint venture arrangement with a Guatemalan entity and related licenses and venture capital documentation, including registration rights, issuance of warrants and corporate control governance agreement for the provision of Internet services in the Latin American market, beginning in Central America.
- Represented a major oil and gas energy company in a joint participation agreement with an Internet company in Colombia in the television set-top box Internet services industry.
- Represented a Woodlands-based gene therapy company in its merger into a Seattle-based genetics company.
- Represented Apple Orthodontix in numerous merger and acquisition transactions in the dental health care industry.
- Represented American Residential Services in numerous merger and acquisition transactions in the air conditioning industry.
- Represented a national printing holding company based in Houston in its acquisition of the assets of four graphics printing companies in Florida, Tennessee and Texas, out of bankruptcy in the State of Delaware.
- Represented Editorial Trillas S.A. de C.V., the third largest publishing house in Mexico, in its formation of a U.S. subsidiary and various distribution and independent contractor arrangements in the U.S.
- Represented USA Waste in a stock contribution agreement forming a joint venture waste hauling and collection entity with Promotora Ambiental in Mexico.
- Represented Sanifill in the acquisition of the stock of several waste collection companies in Puerto Rico.
- Represented Sanifill and USA Waste/Waste Management in numerous merger and acquisition transactions involving consideration from $200,000 to $200 million, including stock and asset purchases, mergers and divestitures of waste collection, waste hauling and landfill companies.
Selected Publications and Speeches
- "Know Before You Go: Operations & Regulatory Risks in Foreign Markets," International Energy Services Symposium, Houston, Texas, April 25, 2013.
- "Mexico Energy Opportunities: The Next Six Years," Haynes and Boone, LLP, Houston, Texas, March 20, 2013.
- “U.S. Solicits Public Comments on Negotiating Objectives for the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership,” Lexology, April 2, 2013.
- “Brazil Announces 11th Oil and Gas Bid Round,” Lexology, February 12, 2013.
- "The Rule of Law in a Diverse World," State Bar of Texas Texas Young Lawyers Association and International Law Section, November 8, 2012.
- "Invest in Spain," Business Conference, Houston, Texas, October 6, 2009.
- “Business Opportunities in the State of Veracruz,” Greater Houston Partnership and the Houston Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, September 6, 2007.
- “Practical Legal Considerations: Doing Business in Mexico,” Greater Houston Partnership Interconnection Mexico, July 31, 2007.
- "Renewable Energy in Mexico: Opportunity for Mutual Benefit," Houston Business Journal, September 8-14, 2006.
- "Houston Potential for Hispanic/Latin American Business is Huge," Houston Business Journal, Vol. 37, No. 5, June 9-16, 2006.
- "Private Equity Opportunities in Mexico and Within the U.S. Hispanic Market," Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst Center for Private Equity Finance conference, McCombs School of Business, Austin, Texas, October, 15, 2004.
- “Presentation by Peruvian Ambassador to the United States, Eduardo Ferrero”, moderator, Greater Houston Partnership, October 8, 2004.
- "Colombia's Energy Sector: Business and Investment Opportunities," Greater Houston Partnership featuring Colombia Minister of Energy, Minister of Defense and Ambassador, Washington, D.C., March 11, 2004.
- "Texas and Canada: Partners in Trade - a $14 Billion Friendship," Greater Houston Partnership, World Trade Division, January, 14, 2004.
- "Trading with the Andean Region," Greater Houston Partnership, World Trade Division, June 25, 2003.
- "U.S. Chile FTA: Opportunities for Houston Business," Greater Houston Partnership, World Trade Division, June 16, 2003.
- "An Analysis of the Legal Implications of the Intellectual Property Provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement," Harvard International Law Journal, Vol. 34, No. 2, Spring 1993.
- Center for Houston's Future, Board Member
- Houston Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Chairman Emeritus
- Greater Houston Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Foundation, Immediate Past Chairman of the Board
- Greater Houston Partnership, International Investment and Trade Advisory Committee, Vice Chair
- Christus Foundation, Advisory Council Member
- Houston Hispanic Bar Association, Advisory Director
- Houston Downtown District, Past Board Member
- Scenic Houston, Past Board Member
- Amigos de las Americas, Past International Board Member
- Houston Police Officers' Civil Service Commission, Past Commissioner
- HBA/Monterrey Lawyer Exchange Committee, Program/Brochure Committee Past Co-Chair
- Mexican Cultural Institute of Houston, Past Director
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association