Jacqueline Kelley Shipchandler represents clients on a full spectrum of antitrust and competition matters, including civil and criminal government investigations, private antitrust litigation, and antitrust clearance in connection with mergers and acquisitions. She also regularly counsels clients on a wide variety of antitrust issues, including pricing and distribution arrangements, unilateral conduct concerns, joint ventures and other competitor collaborations, trade association issues, and antitrust compliance training. Her work has spanned a broad variety of industries, including media and entertainment, defense products, computer software, hardware and memory products, food additives, and consumer products.
Before joining Haynes and Boone in 2004, Jacqueline served as a Trial Attorney in the Litigation III section of the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. While in government service, she handled investigations into potential civil violations of the antitrust laws and also analyzed the competitive consequences of proposed mergers and acquisitions. She was involved in significant investigations in the media, entertainment, and publishing industries. She was also part of the team representing the United States in its landmark antitrust case against Microsoft.
Jacqueline has been an active leader in local and national bar organizations. For the past several years, she served in the Leadership of the American Bar Association's Section of Antitrust Law. She recently completed her term as a Vice-Chair of the Antitrust Section’s Joint Conduct Committee and is also a past Vice-Chair of the Antitrust Section's Trial Practice Committee. Jacqueline has served as a Vice-Chair of the Dallas Bar Association's Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section, as well as serving on the Section’s leadership Council. Jacqueline has also been selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition.
Recent Speeches, Publications and Honors
- Editor, JOINT CONDUCT COMMITTEE E-BULLETIN, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law (Fall 2010-August 2013).
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition (2006, 2012).
- Contributing Editor, 2009 ANNUAL REVIEW OF ANTITRUST LAW DEVELOPMENTS, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law (2010).
- Panelist, Conflicts of Interest: Ethical Considerations in Multiple Representations and the Revolving Door Between the Government and Private Practice (June 30, 2009).
- Moderator, "A Brown-Bag Conference Discussing the Criminal Jury Trial in the Marine Hose Case," American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law (May 8, 2009).
- Contributing Editor, 2008 ANNUAL REVIEW OF ANTITRUST LAW DEVELOPMENTS, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law (2009).
- Contributing Editor, 2007 ANNUAL REVIEW OF ANTITRUST LAW DEVELOPMENTS, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law (2008).
- "Internal Investigations in Antitrust Matters," INTERNAL CORPORATE INVESTIGATIONS, (3rd Ed.), American Bar Association, Section of Litigation (2007).
- Contributor, ANTITRUST LAW DEVELOPMENTS (6th Ed.), American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law (2007).
- Contributing Editor, INDIRECT PURCHASER LITIGATION HANDBOOK, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law (2007).
- "Application of U.S. Antitrust Laws: Practical Tips for Foreign Corporations," Jacqueline K. Shipchandler, Lecture before Academy of American and International Law, The Center for American and International Law, Plano, Texas (June 27, 2006).
- "Checklist of Practical Considerations When Representing Targets of Criminal Antitrust Investigations," Kathleen M. Beasley and Jacqueline K. Shipchandler, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, 54th Antitrust Law Spring Meeting (March 2006).
- "Checklist of Practical Considerations When Representing International Entities in Cartel Investigations," Barry F. McNeil and Jacqueline K. Shipchandler, American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, International Cartel Workshop (February 2006).
Selected Representative Experience
Innovative Mag-Drive, LLC Acquisition
Represented Flowserve US Inc. in its acquisition of Innovative Mag-Drive, LLC d/b/a Innomag, a manufacturer of advanced sealless magnetic drive centrifugal pumps.
Movie Theater Merger
Represented Movie Tavern, Inc. in its merger with and into a subsidiary of VSS-Southern Theatres, LLC.
International Cartel Investigation and Related Proceedings
Represented a major global freight forwarder in an industry-wide international antitrust investigation into possible price fixing and other improper collusive activity, as well as a follow-on civil class action suit.
Antitrust Counseling in Proposed Telecommunications Acquisition
Represented AT&T before the DOJ and FCC on antitrust matters related to proposed acquisition of T-Mobile USA, including pre-merger integration counseling and planning.
Wireless Product Patent and Antitrust Litigation
Defense of leading wireless product manufacturer in federal litigation alleging patent infringement and antitrust violations.
Fire Suppression Products Industry Acquisition
Representation of global manufacturer of fire suppression products in connection with FTC investigation of proposed acquisition.
L-3 v. Lockheed Martin, Northern District of Texas
Representation of L-3 Communications Integrated Systems, Inc. in federal antitrust lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas against Lockheed Martin. The lawsuit, which settled in 2010, alleged that Lockheed Martin violated the antitrust laws by monopolizing the international market for refurbishment of P-3 aircraft.
Marine Hose Price-Fixing Investigation
Representation of U.S.-based sales executive of an Italian company in a DOJ criminal antitrust investigation and follow-on civil litigation relating to antitrust violations in the marine hose industry.
FTC Section 5 Trade Association Investigation
Representation of major music trade association in FTC investigation and negotiation of consent decree relating to allegations under Section 5 of the FTC Act. Developed antitrust compliance policy and guidelines.
DRAM Price-Fixing Investigation
Representation of U.S. and foreign executives of a worldwide manufacturer of computer chips in an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice's Antitrust Division into alleged worldwide market allocation and price fixing.
Food Flavor Enhancement Investigation
Representation of worldwide food supplier in a criminal cartel investigation by the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice into antitrust violations and collusion in the food flavor enhancement industry (MSG and nucleotides).
Oil and Gas Price-Fixing and Market Allocation Investigation
Representation of major oil and gas company in an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice's Antitrust Division into alleged price-fixing and market allocation among worldwide producers of refining by-products.
Antitrust Counseling in Billion-Dollar Acquisition
Provided antitrust counseling to AT&T in its $67 billion acquisition of Bell South Corp.
Polychloropine Rubber Price-Fixing Investigation
Representation of executive of an Italian producer of polychloroprene rubber in connection with an investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice's Antitrust Division into alleged international price-fixing.
DOJ Accounting Fraud Investigation
Representation of a corporation in a criminal investigation relating to accounting fraud.
Debtor Representation - Mirant Corporation
Represented Mirant Corporation and certain of its direct and indirect subsidiaries in their Chapter 11 cases in Fort Worth. Mirant was an international company whose core business is the production and sale of electricity and electrical capacity. The Mirant Corporation bankruptcy is the largest bankruptcy case ever filed in Texas.
DOJ Price Fixing Investigations
Representation of corporations and corporate executives in civil and criminal international cartel litigation in a variety of industries.
SEC Insider Trading Investigation
Representation of a financial client in a 10(b) and 13(d) investigation.
Antitrust Counseling as Part of BellSouth Merger
Advising telecommunications company on pre-merger antitrust issues related to multi-billion dollar merger with competitor.