Janet Robertson is of counsel in the Public Law Practice Group in the Houston office of Haynes and Boone, LLP. Janet's work in public finance includes serving as bond counsel, underwriter's counsel, credit bank counsel, borrower's counsel, and issuer's counsel in connection with multi-million dollar municipal and conduit bond issues, providing taxable and tax-exempt financing for charter schools, hospitals, health care facilities, continuous care retirement communities, cultural facilities, various industrial development facilities, and other issuers located throughout Texas and the United States.
In addition, she has substantial experience in banking and lending, securities law, project finance, private placements, asset securitizations (including issuance of nonconsolidation and true sale opinions), all forms of secured transactions (real, personal, and mixed collateral), mortgage warehouse lending, repurchase agreements, interest rate swaps, and loan workouts.
Selected Client Representations
- Bond counsel in connection with a combined approximately $50 million tax-exempt and $39.9 million direct-pay qualified school construction bond revenue bond issue for an open-enrollment charter school.
- Bond counsel representation in connection with an approximately $67 million revenue bond issue for an open enrollment charter school, including implementation of an innovative credit enhancement structure involving an internationally known foundation as a credit support provider.
- Bond counsel representation in connection with additional charter school revenue bond transactions, ranging in size from approximately $6 million to $29 million.
- Bond counsel representation of local airport system in connection with issuance of approximately $113 million in special facilities revenue bonds.
- Bank and bond counsel representation of nonprofit organizations in connection with bank-qualified tax exempt loans to finance local private schools, an area blood center, a neighborhood health center and a neighborhood recreation center.
- Underwriter's counsel representation in connection with numerous hospital and charter school revenue bond transactions, ranging in size up to $950 million.
- State Bar of Texas
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Texas Women Lawyers
- Alliance of Public Charter School Attorneys
- Women in Public Finance, Texas Chapter
- Member, Attorney Diversity Committee of Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Leadership Houston Class XXXI
Selected Representative Experience
$500 Million Senior Secured Syndicated Credit Facility for New Midstream Energy Limited Partnership
Represented Wells Fargo Securities, LLC as lead arranger and Wells Fargo Bank, N.A. as administrative agent in connection with $500 million senior secured syndicated credit facility for QEP Midstream Partners, LP, a midstream energy master limited partnership with assets in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and North Dakota.
Represented Houston Community College as disclosure co-counsel on the issuance of limited tax general obligation bonds totaling approximately $400 million.
Bond Counsel for the Tarkington Independent School District
Represented Tarkington Independent School District as bond counsel in the issuance of nearly $2.4 million in unlimited tax refunding bonds.
Served as underwriter's counsel on the issuance of $6.1 million in a series of taxable education revenue bonds for Travis County Cultural Education Facilities Finance Corporation.
Served as underwriter’s counsel on the issuance of $37.590 million in hospital revenue and refunding bonds in connection with the financing of health facilities development in Brazoria County.
Disclosure Counsel for the City of Houston
Represented the City of Houston as disclosure co-counsel on the issuance two series of subordinate lien revenue refunding bonds totaling approximately $504 million in connection with the city's Airport System.
Served as underwriter’s counsel in the issuance of approximately $20 million in a series of hotel occupancy tax subordinate lien revenue refunding bonds for the City of Austin connection with the financing of the Convention Center/Waller Creek Venue Project.