John Hintz is a partner in the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group in the New York office of Haynes and Boone, LLP. John has more than twenty years of experience in intellectual property litigation. He has worked on all aspects of patent disputes and has litigated in federal courts throughout the country and before the International Trade Commission. He also has significant transactional, licensing, and counseling experience, including advising clients on the IP aspects of mergers and acquisitions as well as on the licensing of IP assets. John is AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory.
John has represented clients in a wide range of industries covering diverse technologies, including search engines, financial services, bar-code scanning, Internet-related businesses, telecommunications, computer simulations, commodity chemicals, polymers, process control instruments, medical devices, and life sciences. His pro bono experience includes obtaining the reversal of a decision that would have resulted in deportation of his client and supervising a team that obtained the release of Dewey Bozella, a man wrongfully convicted for murder and incarcerated for twenty-six years.
Selected Publications and Speeches
- "Understanding Patent Law 2011," Panelist, Practising Law Institute, New York, NY, July 6, 2011.
- "US patent infringement damages: continuing the return to reason," Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) Magazine, March/April 2011.
- "Federal Circuit Kills the "25% Rule" for Reasonable Royalty Damages Calculations," January 5, 2011.
- "Patent Litigation and Anatomy of a Patent Infringement Case," Panelist, Understanding Patent Law 2010, Practising Law Institute, New York, NY, July 2010.
- "Patent Litigation and Anatomy of a Patent Infringement Case," Panelist, Patent Basics 2009, Practising Law Institute, New York, NY, July 2009.
- "Anatomy of a Patent Infringement Case," Panelist, Patent Basics for the Non-Specialist 2008, Practising Law Institute, New York, NY, May 2008.
- "Court of Appeals Changes Evidentiary Rule Relating to Opinions of Counsel in Patent Cases," Fish & Neave Update, October 2004.
- "Exclusive Rights to Intellectual Property: Are You Getting What You’re Paying For?," Co-Author, The Deal, January 24, 2004.
- "The Doctrine of Functionality in Design Patent Cases," Co-Author, 19 U. BALT. L. REV. 352, 1989.
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association (Co-Chair, Amicus Committee)
- Selected as one of The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 for Patent Litigation
- Selected as Best Lawyers 2013 New York City Litigation - Patent Lawyer of the Year
- Named to IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners, Intellectual Asset Management (2012)
- Recipient of the "Gideon Champion of Justice Award" from the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers for pro bono work on behalf of Dewey Bozella (Jan. 2010)
- Named to IAM Patent Litigation 250: The World's Leading Patent Litigators (2011)
- Selected as a New York Super Lawyer every year since 2006