Julie Domike concentrates her environmental law practice in the areas of enforcement defense and advising clients on regulatory requirements, including emerging Greenhouse Gas regulations. She has extensive experience in the area of permitting under the Clean Air Act, particularly Title V and major and minor New Source Review. Her work with stationary sources includes interaction with EPA and states on rulemaking, providing compliance counseling, and defending sources in federal and state enforcement matters. Her work on mobile source matters involves rulemaking, compliance counseling, engine certification, rule interpretation, and defending companies in federal enforcement matters. She has advised clients on administrative and civil judicial resolutions of alleged violations of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and Emergency Planning and Community Right to Know Act.
Drawing from nearly nine years as an attorney with EPA headquarters' Air Enforcement Division, Julie offers clients insight into the agency's enforcement approach and relationships with the U.S. Department of Justice. This experience provides useful background for addressing current situations that involve EPA's enforcement responses and DOJ's handling of enforcement cases.
Julie has experience with rule development as well as challenges before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia. She has represented numerous companies in complex negotiations with the U.S. Department of Justice and EPA, including a number of refining companies, resulting in global settlements affecting multiple refineries. In addition to counseling on alleged violations, she also advises clients on environmental audits of facilities and subsequent correction and disclosure to state and federal environmental agencies.
Julie has represented numerous petroleum refining companies, chemical companies, and engine, truck, and construction equipment manufacturers.
Selected Publications and Speeches
- "Get Ready For Stricter RMP Enforcement," co-author, Law360, May 14, 2013.
- The Clean Air Act Handbook, Chapter 17, Civil Enforcement, ABA Publications, Third Edition, co-author with Alec Zacaroli, 2011.
- The Clean Air Act Handbook, co-editor with Alec Zacaroli, ABA Publications, Third Edition, July 2011; Fourth Edition, estimated December 2014.
- "EPA Begins Regulation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions Under the Clean Air Act - Analysis & Perspective," co-author with Alec Zacaroli, BNA Daily Environment Report and Environment Reporter, December 2009.
- The Clean Air Act Handbook, Chapter 17, Civil Enforcement, co-author with Alec Zacaroli, ABA Publications, Second Edition, 2004.
- "Reinterpretation of NSR Regulations Could Have Costly Implications for Business - Analysis & Perspective," co-author with Alec Zacaroli, BNA Environment Reporter, March 2000.
- Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law and Litigation - Environmental, 2006-2015
- Top 50 Women Lawyers in Washington, D.C., 2014
- Top 100 Lawyers in Washington, D.C. 2014
- Air Quality subject matter expert for the American Bar Association Section on Energy, Environment, and Resources, for media inquiries
- Air Quality and Administrative Law Committees, Section on Environment and Natural Resources of the American Bar Association, Member (former Vice Chair)
- Environmental Law Institute, Member