Rafael Anchia represents financial institutions and public and private funds in a variety of transactions involving, among other things, senior and subordinated debt and equity, domestic and international syndications and distressed debt acquisitions and sales. He also maintains an active public finance practice.
Rafael is also involved in community affairs and public service. Representing District 7 on the Dallas ISD Board of Trustees from 2001-2004, he oversaw a $1 billion budget, 19,000 employees and almost 220 schools in the nation's 12th largest school district.
After retiring from the Dallas School Board, Rafael has been elected five times as Texas State Representative for District 103, which includes parts of Dallas, Irving, Carrollton and Farmers Branch. Texas Monthly named him "Rookie of the Year" during the 79th Legislative Session and one of the "10 Best Legislators" during the 80th Legislative Session. Rafael serves as Chair of the International Trade and Intergovernmental Affairs Committee and as a member of the Urban Affairs Committee.
Selected Professional Activities and Honors
- Recipient of the Dallas Bar Association's 2014 Martin Luther King, Jr. Justice Award
- Appointed by President Obama to be a member of the national Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations, 2011
- "Ohtli" Award, the highest award given by the government of Mexico to acknowledge the contributions the recipients have made to help empower Mexican and Mexican-American communities in the United States, 2011
- Latino Leaders Maestro Award for Leadership, 2010
- American Jewish Committee's Institute of Human Relations Award, 2009
- Texas Lawyer's Extraordinary Minority in Texas Law, 2009
- MALDEF's Matt Garcia Public Service Award, 2009
- Aspen Institute - Rodel Fellow, 2007
- Flemming Institute Fellow, 2006
- JCPA/JCRC Institute for Hispanic American Leadership, 2005
- LULAC National "Man of the Year," 2005
- British-American Project Delegate, 2003
- Broad Foundation Fellow, 2003
- American Marshall Memorial Fellow, 2001