Scott Thompson is an associate in the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Practice Group in the Dallas office of Haynes and Boone, LLP.
His practice focuses on health and welfare plans, retirement plans, and executive compensation programs.
Scott is a contributor to Haynes and Boone’s Practical Benefits Lawyer blog, which discusses issues and developments in the areas of employee benefits and executive compensation.
Selected Client Representations
- Assisting clients with operational and documentary compliance with federal and state laws governing employee benefit plans. Such federal laws include the Internal Revenue Code, ERISA, COBRA, HIPAA, and the Affordable Care Act.
- Assisting clients in identifying and correcting ERISA and employee benefit plan issues in connection with mergers and acquisitions, acting as counsel to both buyers and sellers.
- Drafting and amending plan documents and award agreements for clients’ executive compensation programs, including incentive plans, bonus plans, and severance plans.
- Reviewing and amending nonqualified deferred compensation plans and other compensation arrangements to comply with Internal Revenue Code Section 409A.
- Analyzing employment agreements and severance agreements of executives, officers, and other key employees regarding issues under Internal Revenue Code Sections 280G and 409A, acting as counsel to both employers and employees.
- Assisting clients with correction of plan qualification failures through the Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System issued by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Assisting clients in the application of the HIPAA privacy and security rules to their benefit plans; drafting related forms, policies, and procedures; and preparing required training for clients’ staff.
- Analyzing questions relating to multiple employer welfare arrangements (MEWAs).
- Co-author: "Everyday Attorney-Client Privilege and Work-Product Ethics for Labor, Employment, and Employee Benefits Attorneys," Bloomberg Law, July 22, 2013.
- Author: "Open for Business: The ADA Beyond an Employer’s Front Door," 18 Tex. Wesleyan L. Rev. 383, Winter 2011.
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
Selected Representative Experience
Innovative Mag-Drive, LLC Acquisition
Represented Flowserve US Inc. in its acquisition of Innovative Mag-Drive, LLC d/b/a Innomag, a manufacturer of advanced sealless magnetic drive centrifugal pumps.
Equity Rollover Transaction
Represent U.S. sellers in an equity rollover transaction in which a U.S. private equity firm acquired a controlling interest in the target U.S. and Canadian businesses.
Represented CD Listening Bar, Inc. d/b/a Super D in its acquisition of Alliance Entertainment Holding Corporation, a multimedia wholesale distributor.
Acquisition of Marketing Werks, Inc.
Represented CROSSMARK, Inc., a leading consumer goods sales and marketing services company, in its acquisition of Marketing Werks Inc., the largest independent consumer-engagement company in the country.
Sale of Interests Held by Rise Energy Partners, LP
Advised Rise Energy Partners, LP in connection with its sale of interests in various oil and gas producing properties offshore southern California to Memorial Production Partners LP for a purchase price of approximately $271 million.