Cheryl Rosenberg, a partner in the Public Law Practice of Haynes and Boone, LLP, has 27 years of experience providing bond counsel and disclosure counsel services in connection with the issuance of governmental tax-exempt debt in Texas. Cheryl has represented numerous cities, counties, school districts, junior college districts, "on behalf of" corporations and special districts.
She has also provided underwriters' counsel services for major national and regional investment banking firms throughout Texas and the Southwest.
In addition, Cheryl counsels clients on general public law matters such as open records, open meetings and elections.
She has served as bond counsel to the Houston area's major issuers, particularly in the issuance of complex debt securities and in the creation of commercial paper programs. Her clients include the City of Houston, Harris County, the Port of Houston Authority and the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County ("METRO").
Cheryl is AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory.
Selected Client Representations
- Serves as general counsel to the Harris County Sports & Convention Corporation.
- Served as bond counsel for the creation of the City of Houston's variable rate general obligation bond program, one of the first, and largest (at the time), variable rate general obligation programs in Texas.
- Represented the City of Houston as disclosure counsel on three series of Combined Utility System First Lien Fixed Rate Revenue Refunding Bonds in 2004, totaling nearly $3 billion, and on two series of Combined Utility System First Lien Revenue Refunding Bonds in 2014, totaling nearly $1.4 billion.
- Served as underwriter's counsel on TxDOT's $2,920,074,856 Grand Parkway System Toll Revenue Bones, Series 2013.
Served as bond counsel to METRO on its first issues of sales and use tax bonds and created METRO's commercial paper program and its equipment lease purchase program.
- Created Harris County's general obligation commercial paper programs.
- Advised the Houston Independent School District's litigation team in a successful bond validation lawsuit.
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- President, Women in Public Finance, Texas Chapter, 2012-2013
Selected Representative Experience
Represented Houston Community College as disclosure co-counsel on the issuance of limited tax general obligation bonds totaling approximately $400 million.
City of Houston Special Disclosure Bonds
Represented the City of Houston as special disclosure co-counsel on the issuance of $116 million in combined utility system first lien revenue refunding bonds.
Served as co-underwriter's counsel on the issuance of a series of revenue refunding bonds totaling approximately $268 million for the City of Austin Electic Utility System.
City of Sugar Land General Obligation Bonds
Served as underwriters’ counsel in the issuance of approximately $10 million in general obligation refunding bonds for the City of Sugar Land.
Montgomery County Municipal Utility Bonds
Served as underwriter’s counsel in the issuance of a series of unlimited tax refunding bonds totaling approximately $2.35 million for Montgomery County Municipal Utility District No. 47.
City of Houston Enertainment Facilities Bonds
Represented the Convention & Entertainment Facilities Department of the City of Houston as special disclosure co-counsel in the issuance of hotel occupancy tax and special revenue refunding bonds, aggregating approximately $42 million in financing.
Served as underwriter's counsel in the issuance of $337 million in revenue refunding bonds for the City of Austin Water and Wastewater System.
Served as underwriter’s counsel on the issuance of combined utility system unlimited tax and revenue refunding bonds totaling approximately $7 million for Harris County Water Control and Improvement District No. 110.
Disclosure Counsel for the City of Houston
Represented the City of Houston as disclosure co-counsel on the issuance two series of subordinate lien revenue refunding bonds totaling approximately $504 million in connection with the city's Airport System.
Served as underwriter’s counsel in the issuance of approximately $20 million in a series of hotel occupancy tax subordinate lien revenue refunding bonds for the City of Austin connection with the financing of the Convention Center/Waller Creek Venue Project.
Represented Harris County as disclosure counsel on the issuance of a series of permanent improvement refunding bonds totalling approximately $93 million.
Served as co-underwriter’s counsel in the issuance of general obligation and refunding bonds by the Texas Public Finance Authority totaling approximately $3.5 million.