Bruce Merwin has more than 36 years of experience working on all types of complex real estate transactions, with a particular emphasis in construction-related transactions, office building, apartment and condominium development, industrial projects, leasing, land development projects and the purchase and sale of unimproved and improved property. Bruce also has substantial experience in working with developers of multi-family projects, including mixed-use projects, and assisted living centers, including Alzheimer's facilities. Bruce is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Recent transactions include representation of:
- Developer in structuring and documenting land acquisition, financing, construction and leasing of a multi-building medical complex in The Woodlands.
- Developer in acquiring and developing several 500+ acre tracts for industrial and rail-related developments.
- Architects in negotiating and drafting agreements with respect to the Houston football/rodeo stadium complex and the Houston basketball arena and related parking garage.
- Owners, developers, architects and contractors in drafting and negotiating over 50 architect's agreements and construction contracts annually, including multi-family projects, medical buildings, manufacturing and green building projects.
- Developers and several major tenants occupying multiple floors of office buildings and build-to-suit office/warehouse projects.
- Borrowers in all types of real estate financing, including CMBS loans.
- Owners in design and construction of industrial plants.
- Land development lender on more than 500 loans and sales of participation interests.
- Portfolio sellers of apartment complexes (with defeasance requirements).
- Developers of office and residential condominiums.
- 47th Annual William W. Gibson, Jr. a mortgage lending institute, University of Texas – September 19-20 and October 10-11, 2013
- ABA Construction Law Form – Fall Meeting – Lender’s Respective: The share and cooperation between Architects and Contractors, keep revisions in Architect’s agreement in protecting green benefits – September 2013
- South Texas College of Law 28th Annual Real Estate Conference—June 6, 2013-Planning Committee and Presenter on Owner’s Killer Clauses and Contractor’s and Subcontractor’s Responses
- Houston Bar Association Real Estate Section—April 17, 2013—Drafting and Negotiating Green Building Professional and Construction Contracts
- ABA-Construction Law Forum-Division 2-Quarterly Panel on Top 10 Issues in Negotiating Construction Contracts—March 12, 2013—Presenter
- Associated General Contractors Annual Convention—Owner’s Killer Clauses and Contractor’s and Subcontractor’s Responses Speech-- March 7, 2013—Presenter
- Bisnow Symposium on Industrial Property in Houston—January 7, 2013-Moderator and Presenter
- Bisnow, November 2012, Multi-family Summit – Moderator Speaker
- Bisnow, March 2012, Industrial Summit – Moderator Speaker
- South Texas College of Law 27th Annual Real Estate Conference – June 7, 2012 –AIA and ConsenusDocs for Architect’s and Construction Contracts
- Guest Lecturer at the University of Texas Law School, on Contracting for Construction Projects, 2010
- Contributing author to ABA Construction Law Textbook, Chapter on Contracting for Construction Projects, 2009
- Author/Speaker for Lorman Webinar, February 2011, Commercial Real Estate Purchase Agreements - Key Issues and Drafting Solutions
- Bisnow, February 2011, Houston Sustainability Summit - Moderator/Speaker
- Strafford Webinar, January 2011, Author/Speaker With J. Scott Dickens and James d'Entremont, LEED Certification Litigation: Emerging Risks
- Green Legal Matters Conference - Green Cities, Business and Beyond - October, 2010 - Author/Speaker with Brad Carson - When Green Goes Wrong - Liability, De-Certification, and Drafting Considerations
- Author/Speaker at 32nd Annual Advanced Real Estate Law Course - Texas Bar CLE, July 2010 on Green Buildings
- Author/Speaker for 26th Annual Real Estate Law Conference, South Texas College of Law, June, 2010 on Green Leasing
- Author/Speaker for CLE International Negotiating Leases Seminar February 2009, Tenant Work Letters
- Author/Speaker for 24th Annual South Texas College of Law Real Estate Conference June, 2009 - Green Buildings-Architect's Contracts, Construction Contracts and Leases - Special Drafting Considerations
- Author/Speaker for University of Texas CLE Construction Seminar January, 2009 - Green Buildings
- Author/Speaker for Texas State Bar Construction Law Section - Annual Presentation on Consensus Docs - 2008 State Bar Convention
- Author/Speaker for Lorman Educational Services - Seminar on Green or Sustainable Construction, February, 2008 - A Smorgasboard of Issues Affecting Architects and Contractors Relating to Green Buildings
- Author/Speaker for Texas State Bar Construction Law Section - 21st Annual Construction Law Conference, February, 2008 - Design-Build Contracts
- Author/Speaker at 29th Annual Advanced Real Estate Law Course - Texas Bar, CLE, July, 2007 On Review of Using AIA Forms - Main Concerns and Key Issues From the Owner's Perspective
- Author/Speaker for University of Texas Law School CLE on Residential Development and Construction Law, October 2005 - Custom Home Contracts and More
- Author/Speaker at 28th Annual Advanced Real Estate Law Course - Texas Bar CLE, July, 2006 - on Construction Contracts - Important Provisions and Pitfalls
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America - Real Estate Law and Construction Law (1999-2014)
- Listed in Chambers USA - America's Leading Lawyers - Construction (2003-2013)
- Listed in Texas Monthly Super Lawyers (2003-2013) - Real Estate and Construction
- Top 100 Houston Lawyers - 2004
- Keeton Fellow - University of Texas Law School
- Martindale Hubbell® Law Directory with a Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™
Selected Representative Experience
“Green” Fly Ash Beneficiation Facility in Charles County, Maryland
Assisted Mirant Corporation (now GenOn Energy) with all contractual arrangements for a thermal fly ash beneficiation facility to be built at Mirant’s 1,467-MW Morgantown power plant located in Charles County, Maryland. The Morgantown fly ash beneficiation facility will be the largest thermal facility ever deployed in the United States. When completed, it will be capable of processing up to 400,000 tons of fly ash per year.
Acquisition of Oregon Armored Service, Inc.
Represented public company in acquisition of 100 percent of the capital stock of Oregon Armored Service, Inc., a privately-held armored service business, including environmental review, negotiation of commercial leases, and post-closing corporate reorganization.
Purchase of Assets by Loomis Armored US, Inc. from Guardian Armored Security, Inc., Guardian Armored Assets, LLC, and Guardian Alarm Co. of Michigan, Inc.
Represented Loomis Armored US, Inc. in its purchase of assets from Guardian Armored Security, Inc., Guardian Armored Assets, LLC, and Guardian Alarm Co. of Michigan, Inc.