We Know How to Lead
- Six lawyers who are Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law
by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Ten former federal and state judicial clerks
- Former chairs of the Appellate Sections of the State Bar of Texas, Dallas Bar Association, Tarrant County Bar Association, Houston Bar Association and Dallas Federal Bar (president) and Tarrant County Bar Business Litigation Section
- American Bar Association Leadership: Council of Appellate Lawyers (chair); Appellate Practice Committee of the Section of Litigation (former co-chair); Appellate Subcommittee of the Business and Corporate Litigation Committee of the Section of Business Law (current chair); Appellate Rules and Statutes Subcommittee of the Appellate Practice Committee (former chair)
- Former President of the State Bar of Texas
- Former President of the Houston Bar Association
- Member of the Texas Supreme Court Advisory Committee
- Authors of two articles named "Law Review Article of the Year" by the Texas Bar Foundation
- Three of the Top 50 Women "Super Lawyers"
- Seven Appellate "Super Lawyers," plus two of our lawyers rated in the top 100 of all Texas Super Lawyers regardless of specialty
- Five Appellate "Texas Rising Stars"
- Four members of the American Law Institute
Unlike many law firm appellate practices, which are made up of lawyers who only occasionally handle appeals, Haynes and Boone's appellate practice encompasses 15 full-time appellate practitioners. No firm in Texas has more full-time appellate lawyers than Haynes and Boone.
What that means for our clients is an enviable breadth of appellate experience. For example, one of our appellate lawyers concentrates on jury submissions in areas where no pattern jury charge exists. Another focuses on the enforcement of judgments pending appeal. A third is the foremost expert in Texas on summary judgments and summary judgment appeals. Another regularly partners with trial teams and then on appeal in technology and intellectual property cases. Because we are well-versed in every area of appellate practice, we provide more than general appellate proficiency - we provide specialized appellate knowledge that matches the needs of each case.
Part of the Trial Team
In the trial court, Haynes and Boone’s appellate lawyers partner with trial lawyers. They are known for supporting trial lawyers, not second-guessing them. Because we excel at our jobs, trial lawyers are free to focus on theirs - developing the evidence and persuading the jury.
As a result, we are often retained on the recommendation of lawyers at other firms who recognize our experience in the following procedural areas:
Evaluating the Potential Appeal
We understand that after judgment, a client must make critical decisions. To help our clients make the right choices, we use tools that no other firm can offer, including two empirical studies in which our appellate lawyers examined civil opinions from Texas courts of appeals to determine statistically how likely a court is to reverse an appeal and on what grounds. And, we use our collective judgment and years of experience when assessing a potential appeal.
Proven Results in High-Stakes Appeals and Trials
We tackle cutting-edge legal issues in high-stakes cases. Our cases have set precedent in all areas of civil litigation - including commercial cases, business torts, technology and intellectual property, bankruptcy, energy, products liability, governmental immunity, financial services, Constitutional law, real estate, and family law.