Michael Hegarty is a dedicated natural resources practitioner focusing on complex commercial transactions, project development and regulatory compliance in the mining, oil and gas and energy industries.
Working closely with clients in the United States and elsewhere (including Canada and Mexico and other countries in South America, Africa, Asia and Europe), Mike provides advice and assistance on a variety of issues and topics, including:
- Mineral rights, leases and royalties
- Surface rights, access and use
- Federal lands
- Asset acquisition and divestiture
- Project due diligence
- Risk avoidance and mitigation
- Project financing
- Goods and services procurement
- Project development, construction, operation and maintenance
- Environmental review, permitting and compliance
Mike’s experience involving these and other issues and topics is exemplified by his work supporting a years-long effort by a Canadian client to build a multi-billion dollar copper-gold mine and concentrator complex in the Gobi Desert region of Mongolia. Among his many other contributions to the project, Mike helped negotiate, draft and finalize capital equipment purchase agreements, project management contracts and on-shore and off-shore engineering, procurement and construction management contracts. Mike was also responsible for creating and implementing a reliable, user-friendly contract template program for high-volume, large- and small-value purchases of services and goods during the project’s construction. Mike applies the knowledge and experience he has gained and continues to gain in projects such as these to help the firm’s mining, oil and gas and energy clients achieve their goals creatively, efficiently and effectively.
Selected Publications and Speeches
- "Getting the Deal Through: Mining 2016 (United States)," co-author, Getting the Deal Through, July 6, 2016.