Jeremy Kernodle is a litigator who focuses on government litigation and appeals. He has substantial experience defending clients in False Claims Act cases, and routinely advises healthcare providers, defense contractors, and other clients in high-stakes disputes with the government.
Jeremy is also ranked among the state’s leading appellate lawyers. Benchmark Litigation named Jeremy a Leading Appellate Practitioner in 2011, 2012, and 2013. Texas Monthly named him a Rising Star in appellate litigation in Texas from 2010-2013, and in 2014, a Texas Super Lawyer.
Jeremy has won cases across the state, including a False Claims Act case against a major oil and gas client (S.D. Tex. 2014), a stock option backdating case brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission (5th Cir. 2013 and N.D. Tex. 2012), and an FCA case against a major defense contractor for alleged fraud in Afghanistan (N.D. Tex. 2012).
Jeremy is the founder and chair of the firm’s Government Contracts and False Claims Act Practice Groups. He serves on the Executive Committee and is the past president of the Federal Bar Association, Dallas Chapter, is the current president of the Federalist Society, Dallas, and serves on the Council of the Dallas Bar Association’s Appellate Section.
Before joining Haynes and Boone, Jeremy served as an attorney-adviser in the Office of Legal Counsel at the U.S. Department of Justice, where he was among a small number of lawyers advising the White House and other senior Executive Branch officials on constitutional and other significant legal issues.
Selected Publications / Speaking Engagements
- "False Claims Act 2014 Year in Review," Webinar, Practicing Law Institute, (February 2015)
- "Recent Texas Supreme Court Cases that Impact Businesses," co-presenter, State Bar of Texas, San Antonio, TX (August 2014)
- Co-author, "Emerging Circ. Split Over Scope of FCA First-To-File Bar," Law360 guest article (April 2014)
- Co-author, "Year in Review, False Claims Act, 2013" (January 2014)
- Speaker, "Recent Developments in False Claims Act Litigation," Dallas Bar Association Health Law Section (January 2014)
- Co-author with Odean Volker and Nicole Somerville, "Are You Afraid of the False Claims Act? You Should Be," Houston Business Journal (August 2013)
- Panelist, "Advice & Tips for Practicing in the Northern District of Texas" (January 2012)
- Panelist, "The Rise in Whistleblower Liability" (June 2011)