Liz Klingensmith's experience includes all aspects of litigation: early case assessment, litigation risk analysis, alternative dispute resolution procedures including arbitration and mediation, large-scale discovery including electronic document collection, review and production, motion practice, pre-trial preparation, trial and settlement. She primarily focuses her litigation practice on disputes arising from oil and gas projects. As part of that practice, she frequently provides clients critical analysis of various oil and gas related transactions including joint operating agreements, master services agreements, procurement agreements, lease agreements, exploration and development agreements, joint venture agreements, purchase and sale agreements and various financing agreements.
In addition to her oil and gas experience, Liz has extensive experience litigating large scale commercial disputes that involve claims for breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, post-judgment enforcement, theft of trade secrets, breach of employment agreements, conversion, declaratory judgment and foreclosure, among others, in a wide array of industries that includes transportation, construction, banking, real estate and professional services.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- "The Shale Energy Revolution: A Lawyer's Guide," editor and contributor, ABA Section of Energy Litigation, 2015.
- "Bright Lights, Big Oil," co-author, The Houston Lawyer, November/December 2014.
- "Things that Go Bump in the Night: Litigation Risks that Leave Oil and Gas CEOs Sleepless," co-author, Oil & Gas Monitor, October 6, 2014.
- "Drilling Into Ambiguities In Oil And Gas Laws," Co-author with Jessica Rivera, Law360, March 28, 2012.
- "EPA Issues Draft Report on Well Water Contamination in Wyoming," Co-author, ABA Energy Litigation Section, February 2012.
- "On Shaky Grounds: EPA's Tentative Findings In Wyoming," Co-author, Oil and Gas Investor, February 2012.
- "Texas Signs Fracking Disclosure Bill Into Law," Energy Litigation News & Developments, American Bar Association Section of Litigation, June 24, 2011.
- "Boilerplate Clauses in Contracts: Avoiding Unintended Consequences," live webinar/teleconference presented by Strafford Publications, Inc., May 17, 2011.
- "House Bill Could Make Impairment of Mineral Estates a Compensable Regulatory Taking," Co-author with Megan Bibb, Energy Litigation News & Developments, American Bar Association Section of Litigation, April 5, 2011.
- "Senate Bill Seeks Required Disclosure of Chemicals in Fracking Fluid," Energy Litigation News & Developments, American Bar Association Section of Litigation, March 18, 2011.
- "Litigating Conflicting Procedures in Separate but Related Agreements," American Bar Association Section of Litigation, December 20, 2010.
- "A Watched Pot Never Boils: Preventing Boilerplate Provisions from Bubbling Over," Co-author, The Houston Lawyer, September/October 2010.
- Energy Law and Transactions, Cleantech Financing Chapter, Co-contributor, 2009-2010.
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars Edition (2014 and 2015)
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition in Energy & Natural Resources (2013)
- Commissioned by Governor Perry as a Yellow Rose of Texas (2010)