David O'Dell, head of the Patent Trials Practice Group, has 20 years of experience in patent matters, including inter partes review (IPRs) and other types of patent trials, ex parte reexaminations, patent licensing, patent opinions and strategic defense, and patent prosecution. His technical areas of experience include semiconductor processing, circuit design, computer software and hardware, and telecommunications. Prior to joining Haynes and Boone, David was a professional engineer and worked for several years in the semiconductor industry as a circuit designer, semiconductor product engineer, and computer programmer.
David's technology law experience includes:
- Representing clients in over 50 different inter partes reviews.
- Representing clients in more than 70 inter partes and ex parte reexaminations, including hearings before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences (BPAI, now the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, or PTAB) at the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Drafting and prosecuting hundreds of original United States patent applications.
- Developing intellectual property portfolios for both start-up and later stage technology companies.
- Implementing competitor analysis and evaluation, and identifying and exploiting patent "white space" in the competitive landscape.
- Representing and defending companies in the assertion of U.S. and foreign patents.
- Counseling regarding patent validity and infringement opinions and the design and implementation of non-infringing alternatives to patented technology.
- Working with trial lawyers in complex patent infringement suits.