Robin Phelan's practice is exclusively devoted to insolvency, reorganization and related areas, including extensive litigation in the bankruptcy court and other federal courts. Chambers, Chambers and Partners, described him as "a recognised genius in the legal field – the guy you go to if you have a question you can't answer" and as an authority on bankruptcy and restructuring matters with a "masterful presence in the courtroom." He also works with other Haynes and Boone attorneys to analyze the effect of bankruptcy and insolvency on corporate and financial transactions. Robin is a frequent speaker on panels and programs throughout the United States and internationally regarding developments in bankruptcy and insolvency law and is the author of numerous publications, several relating to tax, intellectual property, financial contracts, international issues, governmental and environmental claims. He is a contributor to major treatises on bankruptcy and has testified before both the Congressional Bankruptcy Review Commission and the United States Congress on insolvency matters. He has participated in a program sponsored by the United States Department of State and the United Nations to develop model cross border insolvency provisions, has been a delegate to the United Nations Commission on International Trade Laws and has participated in a White House program to improve the United States bankruptcy system.
- Represents debtors and creditors in all types of bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings ranging from sole proprietors to major publicly-held companies such as Zale's, LTV, Hawaiian Airlines, Greyhound, Fruehauf, Enron, Adelphia, Idearc and Mirant.
- Works with clients acquiring financially troubled businesses and has acted as an operating trustee in bankruptcy cases.
- Represents the class action claimants in the Chapter 15 case of the largest bitcoin broker in the world.
- Successfully reorganized an environmentally challenged manufacturer by creating liquidating trusts beneficially owned by the State of California.
- Has consulted with representatives of the Ministry of Justice of Indonesia regarding amendments to the Indonesian Bankruptcy Law.
- Structured multiple pre-negotiated Chapter 11 cases in connection with the largest insurance company reorganization in the United States.