Richard D. Haynes, firm co-founder and name partner, dies

August 02, 2006

DALLAS – Richard D. Haynes, name partner and co-founder of Haynes and Boone, LLP, died Tuesday at a local hospital after a long illness. He was 75.

“Dick had and will continue to have a tremendous influence on our firm,” said firm managing partner Robert E. Wilson. “His integrity, ethics and high standards of professionalism have been a driving force behind our culture.”

Mr. Haynes grew up in Ada, Okla, the son of a hardware merchant. He attended the University of Oklahoma Law School, interrupting his studies to serve as a first lieutenant in the United States Air Force from 1955 to 1957. He resumed the study of law at Washington and Lee University Law School, graduating with an LLB in 1958. Later, he would become a member of the school’s board of trustees and receive the Omicron Delta Kappa Order of the Coif for his longstanding contributions.

He began practicing law with the Oklahoma-based firm of Rainey, Flynn & Welch and represented clients like Santa Fe Railway and Oklahoma Gas and Electric Co.

He opened the Law Offices of Richard D. Haynes in Dallas on March 2, 1964 with $1,600 to his name and took on clients including Republic National Bank, Investment Bankers Inc. and some small manufacturing companies and finance firms.

While teaching at SMU, he met Mike Boone and was impressed with the young law student's intelligence, skills and temperament. Haynes offered Boone the position as his first hired attorney, and Boone accepted. Haynes and Boone began working as a team July 1, 1967. The firm became Haynes and Boone in 1970.

Today, Haynes and Boone, LLP is an international corporate law firm of more than 400 lawyers with offices in ten cities – Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, Mexico City, Moscow, New York, Richardson, San Antonio and Washington D.C.

Mr. Haynes served as senior partner until health problems forced him to retire in the late 1980s.

A strong believer in Dallas and giving to the community, he served on numerous boards, including the St. Michael’s School, The Hockaday School, and Baylor Medical Center Foundation. He also was a vestryman and Senior Warden at St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal Church. In recognition of his long-standing public service to the Dallas community, he received the Justinian Award for Public Service in 1989.

He was also a tireless worker for the Dallas Museum of Art, serving as chairman of the successful 1979 Dallas bond election campaign that secured $25 million in funding to build the present Dallas Museum of Art.  He continued to be active at the museum, serving as Vice President of the Board of Trustees, a member of the Acquisitions Committee, Chairman of the Trustees Nominating Committee, and a member of the Building Committee for the present museum.

In 1995, Mr. Haynes was made a lifetime trustee of the museum. He was a long-time member of the Foundation for the Arts and served as secretary until his death.

He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Norine Castle Haynes; two daughters, Ellen and Caroline; and brother John Hays Haynes and his wife Linda Lewis Haynes, all of Dallas.

Media Contacts

Nathan Koppel
Director of Media Relations
+1 512.867.8431
nathan.koppel@haynesboone.com
Linda Campbell
Communications Manager
+1 214.651.5362
linda.campbell@haynesboone.com

Email Disclaimer