Brad Olson is a partner in the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group in the Washington, D.C. office of Haynes and Boone, LLP. Brad has extensive experience in patent litigation, including the handling of discovery, motion, and trial practice, retaining experts and consultants for trial, coordinating jury focus groups, and preparing witnesses for deposition and trial testimony. He advises clients on patentability, infringement, and validity issues, including anti-counterfeiting enforcement and industrial design matters with an emphasis in the biotechnology and biomedical and medical device fields. Brad has prepared and negotiated complex intellectual property rights transfer agreements, including patent litigation settlements, patent licenses, and computer software and hardware agreements.
Brad has been involved in all aspects of patent and trademark litigation in U.S. District Courts, ITC Section 337 hearings, and patent litigations in the United States, as well as in several European countries in conjunction with foreign counsel. Brad is the Immediate Past-Chair of the Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce of the USA (2011-2013), and is current Chair of the Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce of Washington, D.C., where he continues to advance business opportunities between domestic and international companies.
For the second consecutive year, Bradley J. Olson was selected as an "IP Star" in the IP Stars rankings by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine in their June 2014 edition.
- "Biofuels Licensing: Lessons Learned from the Monoclonal Antibody Business Cycle," co-author, The IP Litigator, Nov./Dec. 2011.
- "Pipedreams to Pipelines: Last Call for Biofuels?" co-author, LES Insights, June 2011.
- "Coverage for IP Related Risks," co-author, Intellectual Property Counselor, May 2009.
- "Biomedical and Biotechnology Licensing Issues After MedImmune," Journal of International Biotechnology Law, November 2008.
- "Post-Merck KGaA v. Integra, A Negative Impact on 'Research Tools'?" Journal of International Biotechnology Law, March 2008
- "The 10 Things Every Practitioner Should Know About Anti-Counterfeiting and Anti-Piracy Protection," Suffolk University Law School Journal of High Technology Law, April 2007.
- "The Amendments to the Vessel Hull Design Protection Act of 1998: A New Tool for the Boating Industry," The Journal of Maritime Law & Commerce, April 2007.
- "The Supreme Court's Merck KGaA v. Integra Lifesciences I, LTD. Opinion Extends The Exemption From Infringement Under Section 271(e)(1) to Biotechnology 'Research Tools,'" Journal of International Biotechnology Law, October 2006.
- "The Vessel Hull Design Protection Act of 1998: Is It Still Afloat?" The Oxford Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, January 2006.
- "Pipedreams to Pipelines: Last Call for Biofuels?" moderator, Licensing Executives Society Spring Meeting, New York City, May 2011.
- "Clean Technology and Marketing Strategy: The Swedish Experience," panelist, George Washington University International Consultancy Project, Washington, D.C., April 2011.
- "U.S. Business Law: How Simple Steps Can Help Avoid Complex Legal Problems," Swedish-American Entrepreneurial Days Consortium, Gothenburg, Sweden, November 2010.
- "Strategic Approaches for European Bioenergy Business Ventures in the United States and How to Avoid Common Intellectual Property and Other Legal Roadblocks," panelist, World Bioenergy and Clean Vehicles & Fuels Conference, Stockholm, Sweden, September 2009.
- "Issues in Open Source Licensing Implications of GPLVersion 3," and "Biotechnology Licensing Issues in View of MedImmune, Quanta Computer, and Merck KGaA," panelist, Licensing Executives Society (LES) Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, October 2008.