Stuart Mass devotes substantially all of his professional time to commercial real estate leasing transactions. He specializes in the office, retail and ground leasing of high-end properties in the prime business districts of Manhattan and the neighboring New Jersey Gold Coast, and is often called upon to assist landlords and tenants in the early stages of structuring complex transactions.
Stuart is routinely involved in several of the largest leasing transactions that take place each year in New York City, representing major landlords, such as Brookfield Office Properties, SL Green Realty Corp. and Fisher Brothers, and prestigious tenants, such as Lazard Group LLC, and Soros Management Fund. He has lectured on leasing topics for the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, the Real Estate Board of New York and, most recently, the MBA program at Columbia University. Stuart has been recognized by publications such as Chambers Guides to the World's Leading Lawyers, Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers in New York and Best Lawyers in America. Stuart is AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory.
Since joining Haynes and Boone in late June 2010, Stuart has served as the lead counsel or supervising attorney in completed leasing transactions covering more than four million square feet of prime office and retail space in midtown and lower Manhattan and the neighboring New Jersey Gold Coast.
Representative transactions include:
- Representation of the landlord in a 1.2 million square foot office lease in Manhattan;
- Representation of a world-class financial institution in its long-term headquarters lease for approximately 440,000 rentable square feet in midtown Manhattan;
- Long-term representation of the landlord of a nearly 2 million square foot Park Avenue building, including two office leasing transactions in excess of 500,000 square feet and one office leasing transaction in excess of 200,000 square feet;
- Renewal and modification of an approximately 1.3 million square foot office lease in midtown Manhattan;
- Long-term representation of a landlord of prominent, downtown New York City office properties with respect to two buildings comprising approximately 5 million square feet, including several leasing transactions ranging from 200,000 square feet to more than 500,000 square feet;
- $1 billion sale of a Park Avenue office building and the contemporaneous leasing back by the seller of nearly 700,000 square feet of office and retail space;
- The "sandwich" ground leasing of a prime Park Avenue office building;
- Negotiation of three leases covering approximating 900,000 square feet of office space in midtown Manhattan in connection with the merger of two world-class music businesses;
- Long-term representation of the landlord in leasing the retail and restaurant establishments in downtown Manhattan's premier office complex;
- Appointment as an arbitrator in a dispute regarding the pass-through to a tenant of a multi-million dollar increase in the cost of terrorism insurance; and
- Representation of landlords in several significant and complex subleasing transactions providing for the ultimate creation of a direct landlord/tenant relationship following the expiration or earlier termination of the sublease.
Selected Representative Experience
Brookfield Office Lease to Morgan Stanley
Represented Brookfield Office Properties in its lease for 1.2 million square feet at One New York Plaza in Lower Manhattan to Morgan Stanley.
Headquarters Lease for Lazard Group LLC
Representation of Lazard Group LLC in its long-term headquarters lease of approximately 440,000 rentable square feet at Rockefeller Center, New York, NY.
Long-Term Ground Lease Completed for University Dormitory in NYC
Representation of SL Green Realty Corp. in a long-term ground lease, the formation of a leasehold condominium and the sale of a 150,000 square foot condominium unit in connection with the construction of a dormitory for Pace University in Lower Manhattan.
Office Lease Extension Completed - Midtown Manhattan
Representation of SL Green Realty Corp. in the restatement, amendment and extension of an office lease covering more than 108,000 square feet in Midtown Manhattan.
Landlord Represented in Park Avenue Office Tower Lease
Representation of SL Green Realty Corp. in an office lease covering more than 106,000 square feet in a Park Avenue office tower in Midtown Manhattan.
Representation of Landlord in New York City's Largest Office Lease of 2010
Representation of Brookfield Properties Corporation in the largest New York City office lease of 2010, covering more than 440,000 square feet at 245 Park Avenue.
Midtown Manhattan Retail Space Leased
Representation of the tenant in an office lease covering more than 20,000 square feet in Midtown Manhattan.
01/24/2013 - Think Real Estate, January 2013
Welcome to Think Real Estate
, the real estate newsletter of Haynes and Boone, LLP, a resource for timely legal analysis of issues affecting the real estate industry.
01/09/2013 - Structuring the Complex Commercial Real Estate Lease - Government Incentives, Real Estate Tax Exemptions, Condominium Conversions, Financial Reporting Considerations, Intervening Leases, Tax Considerations and Unintended Consequences
Competition for tenants of substantial commercial real estate leases will often require the successful landlord to agree to complex lease structures, or even the re-structuring of the underlying real estate.