Hunt Buckley has more than 30 years of experience in international and domestic transactions, focused primarily on the energy industry, along with others. He has represented international and domestic energy and telecommunications companies and service providers, project developers, financial institutions, and domestic and foreign investors in various projects in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, South America, China, Southeast Asia, West Africa, and the Former Soviet Union. He is currently located in the firm’s Mexico City office, and is intimately involved with the Mexican energy reform. He has handled a variety of oil and gas exploration and production transactions, agreements, and bids, as well as pipeline transactions, bids, and contracts.
- Recognized as a leading lawyer in Energy in Latin America by the Latin American Corporate Counsel Association (LACCA), 2015, 2019 and 2021.
- Recognized for his legal work in Latin America in the Latin Lawyer 250 directory, Law Business Research Ltd., 2014 and 2016.
- Representation of various clients relating to the Mexican energy reform and bid rounds issued under the reform.
- Direct negotiation with a national oil company for its first ever incremental production agreement in Colombia.
- Acquisition and disposition of interests in various production-sharing contracts in China and Angola; acquisition of the geophysical, world-wide assets of a major oil-field service company; sale of facilities for a major oil-field service company; creation of joint ventures and strategic alliances in Latin America and Canada for a major oil field service company; creation of joint venture for consolidated oil field services in the Former Soviet Union; structuring the construction, financing, and acquisition of geophysical vessels, drilling rigs, and commercial aircraft; structuring, negotiation, and financing of exploration and drilling programs and of an exploration company in Argentina; sale of drilling rig business in Argentina; financing and creation of various joint ventures to participate in various risk service projects in Mexico and Venezuela.
- Representation of a South American national oil company in connection with international exploration and joint operating agreements.
- Structuring and negotiation of various contracts and strategic alliance agreements for a major telecommunications company's web portal system; negotiation of acquisitions in the telecommunications industry.
- Financing and securitizing transactions involving the acquisition and sale of oil and gas properties; acquisition and disposition of oil and gas properties; domestic and international farmouts and operating agreements; acquisitions of oil and gas properties out of bankruptcies.
- Representation of a South American national oil company in connection with international exploration and joint operating agreements, and in the acquisition of one of the largest plastics companies in Colombia.
- Creation and financing of a textile joint venture in Colombia and a power plant in Honduras.
- Representation of a foreign client in an ethanol project in the USA.
- Representation of clients for their participation in, and implementation of, Mexican bids for incentivized exploration and production agreements, the post-reform production sharing contracts and licenses, and the migration of existing incentivized exploration and production agreement to production sharing contracts.
- Association for International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN), honorary director Mexico sub-chapter
- Dallas Bar Association: International Law Section, Energy Law Section, and Environmental Law Section
- State Bar of Texas: International Law Section, Energy Law Section, and Environmental Law Section
- U.S./Mexico Chamber of Commerce
- American Bar Association: International Section
J.D., University of South Carolina, 1981
B.A., University of the South Sewanee, 1976
U.S. District Court, South Carolina, 1981-1983
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Welcome to the 2020 - 2021 edition of the Haynes Boone Media and Entertainment Law Year in Review. The Media and Entertainment Practice Group of Haynes and Boone, LLP represents a broad range of clients in all facets of media and entertainment, intellectual property, open government and First Amendment litigation, counseling and legislative matters. We are proud to provide a summary of our accompl [...]