Theresa Conduah is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the Orange County office of Haynes and Boone, LLP. Her practice focuses on advising clients on trademark disputes, patent litigation and technology transactions, among other matters.
Theresa has broad-based experience helping companies protect their intellectual property on a global scale, including providing strategic counsel on trademark and copyright portfolios; design patents; brand protection, and anti-counterfeit programs. She has served as an in-house IP counsel at United Airlines, Toyota Motor North America, Inc. and, most recently, at dosist, a health and wellness company.
Previously, as a lawyer in private practice, Theresa counseled both Fortune 500 and startup clients in the technology, financial services, entertainment and sports industries about IP prosecution and enforcement matters.
Theresa is a frequent speaker on intellectual property, brand protection, and diversity in the law issues.
- Managed global rebranding of United Airlines following merger with Continental Airlines, including trademark recordals, clearances, and international filing strategy.
- Established global brand protection programs for several clients, including automotive and apparel companies.
- Obtained injunction for plaintiff in trade dress and trademark infringement dispute concerning use of famed golf course in video game.
- Successful prosecution of dozens of Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy cases before National Arbitration Forum and WIPO.
- GetUsPPE.org, pro bono counsel
- National Immigrant Justice Center, pro bono counsel
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Fellow
- Dallas Bar Foundation Fellow
- Honorable Barbara M.G. Lynn American Inn of Court (2018-2019)
- Cook County Justice for Children, Board Member (2015-2016)
- International Trademark Association Committee Member (2012 to present)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (Annual Meeting Planning Committee Member, 2019)
- Recognized in Legal 500 U.S, 2021
- Managing Counsel IP Corporate Star (2017-2020)
- World Trademark Review Global IP Leader (2019-2020)
- Lawyers of Color's Inaugural "Nation's Best" List (2019)
- Brand Enforcement Programs, CAIL Annual Conference On Intellectual Property Law (November 9, 2021)
- IP Interrupted: Diverse Voices in Intellectual Property, The Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal Symposium (October 8, 2021)
- Endorsement & Licensing Deals in the Cannabis Industry, ABA Annual Conference of the Forum on the Entertainment & Sports Industries (October 8, 2021)
- The “Other” Patent—Role of Design Patents in IP Portfolios, IP Minds USA Summit, Boston (February 2020)
- Combatting Counterfeits on E-commerce Platforms – Whose Job Is It? IPO Annual Meeting, Washington, DC (October 2019)
- Understanding Brand Protection Strategies, Automotive Legal and IP Summit, Frankfurt (March 2019)
- Best Practices: Working With Customs to Fight Counterfeiting in the U.S. and China, IPO Annual Meeting, Chicago (October 2018)
- Brands & Innovation: Advising Clients When Innovation Outpaces the Law(yer), Dallas Bar Association (October 2018)
- Counterfeits and E-commerce, Global Anti-Counterfeiting & Brand Protection Summit, Amsterdam (April 2018)
- Managing Global IP Portfolios, National Bar Association Commercial Law Section, Dana Point (February 2018)
- Faculty, Women in Law Institute, Center for Women in Law, University of Texas at Austin School of Law (February 2018)
- Managing Trademark Assets, World Trademark Review Conference, Chicago (October 2017)
- Defending Against NPEs - Fight or Flight, IP Defense Summit, Chicago (October 2015)
- Creating a Winning Relationship between In-House & Outside Counsel, ISBA Minority Bar CLE Conference, Chicago (June 2015)
- Branding and Social Media in Asia, INTA Annual Meeting, Hong Kong (May 2014)
Master of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University
J.D., Fordham University School of Law
B.A., Georgetown University
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
United States Supreme Court
As the dust settles following a turbulent year for IP, lawyers have cast their predictions for the pivotal issues and cases that will feature over the next 12 months. In part one of a series, attorneys tell WIPR that this year could be when the thorny issue of patent eligibility is finally untangled, while the IP implications posed by the COVID-19 pandemic and the rise of the metaverse will conti [...]