Roger Kuan is a Partner at Haynes and Boone and chair of the Precision Medicine and Digital Health Practice Group, where he counsels companies that are uniquely positioned in the convergence of the life/medical sciences and technology industries on how to successfully navigate the complexities of the intellectual property (IP), data rights and regulatory challenges they encounter.
Roger has extensive experience in IP strategy and portfolio management (utility/design patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade dress), data rights strategy, licensing and technology transactions, freedom-to-operate clearances, enforcement, monetization, IP due diligence, and dispute resolution. His practice is focused in the life sciences sector (e.g., research tools, analytical instrumentation/software, digital therapeutics, medical devices, diagnostics, biomanufacturing equipment, etc.) with an emphasis in emerging technologies such as Precision Medicine (e.g., genomic sequencing platforms, AI/ML, computational genomics/bioinformatics, molecular diagnostics, companion diagnostics, etc.), Digital Health (e.g., mobile apps, clinical decision support, software, digital therapeutics, AI/ML Imaging Diagnostics, wearables, etc.) and 3D printing/bioprinting.
Prior to joining Haynes and Boone, Roger served as Director, IP Counsel at a multinational biotechnology company, where he managed a team to support the worldwide IP needs of the company’s life sciences tools, bioproduction/biomanufacturing, molecular diagnostics, and nucleic acid sequencing system/software platforms. Prior to finishing his law degree, he worked in the life sciences industry for several Fortune 500 pharmaceutical, medical device, and chemical companies. He has held professional positions in the R&D, sales, engineering, and regulatory affairs organizations.
- The Legal 500 U.S., Legalease Ltd., 2019
- "Is Big Pharma’s Antidote to the COVID-19 Waiver a Viable Alternative?" quoted in Life Sciences IP Review, August 2, 2021. Read here.
- "The Legal Landscape in Healthcare 3D Printing," speaker, 3DHEALS webinar, July 29, 2021.
- "Digital Health: Insights Into Today's Key Healthcare Data Issues," moderator, ICLG.com webinar, July 6, 2021. Watch video here.
- "The Business of Alt Protein: Intellectual Property for Alternative Protein Companies," speaker, Good Food Institute (GFI) webinar, June 16, 2021.
- "Will Biden Backed Bills Boost Biosimilars Uptake in the U.S.?" speaker, The BioPharma Pod, May 7, 2021. Listen here.
- "AI Patenting and Licensing," panelist, The University of Texas Technology Management Council Meeting, April 16, 2021.
- "Digital Health Innovations – What They Are, How to Protect Them, and Commercialization Strategies," speaker, Weill Digital Health Series webinar, March 12, 2021.
- "Use of AI in Healthcare," speaker, AI Chats podcast, March 1, 2021. Listen here.
- "Navigating Legal Issues in Emerging Technologies in Healthcare & Life Sciences," contributor, UCSF Rosenman Institute Expert Consults, January 19, 2021.
- "Digital Health 2021," contributing editor, International Comparative Legal Guides (ICLG), January 3, 2021. Read here.
- "Life Sciences Considerations Regarding Compulsory Licensing, March-In Rights, and the Defense Production Act During COVID-19," co-author, Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, Volume 33, No. 1, January 2021.
- "The State of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare," panelist, Harvard AI in Healthcare Group Panel, November 17, 2020.
- "Telehealth and Other Advancements in Healthcare Technology Spurred by COVID-19," speaker, DahShu Online Seminar, November 13, 2020.
- "Biosimilars Caught in Crosshairs of Supreme Court ACA Fight," quoted in Law360, November 9, 2020.
- "Intellectual Property and 3D Printing Medical Devices and Bioprinting," speaker, 3DHEALS 2020, June 6, 2020.
- "Regulatory/Legal Challenges," speaker, 3DHEALS 2020, June 6, 2020.
- "The Long Road to Health Care’s AI-Based Transformation," quoted in Trends Magazine, January 15, 2020.
- "Adopting AI no walk in the park for healthcare providers," quoted in MUUTAA, January 12, 2020.
- "Negotiating Term Sheets," Redefining Early Stage Investments (RESI) Conference, January 2020 (San Francisco).
- "Everything You Need to Know About Digital Health," Cedars-Sinai Accelerator, November 2019.
- "Adopting AI no walk in the park for healthcare providers," quoted in AI in Healthcare, October 18, 2019.
- "Adopting AI in Health Care Will be Slow and Difficult," Harvard Business Review (published on HBR.ORG), October 18, 2019.
- "Patent Protection for Medical 3D Printing & Bioprinting Technologies," 3DHeals (published on 3DHeals.com), September 2019.
- "Negotiating Term Sheets," Redefining Early Stage Investments (RESI) Conference, June 2019 (Philadelphia).
- "IP Protection Strategies for Personalized/Precision Medicine," BIOCOM, November 2018 (San Francisco).
- "Advanced Patent Prosecution Workshop 2018: Advanced Claim Drafting Issues (Personalized/Precision Medicine)," Practicing Law Institute (PLI), September 2018 (San Francisco).
- "Operation Valuation: Maximizing the Value of your Asset Portfolio," Redefining Early Stage Investments (RESI) Conference, June 2018 (Boston).
B.S., Toxicology, University of California Davis, 1995
J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 2004
M.S., Environmental Engineering (biochemical engineering emphasis), California State Polytechnic University, 1999, with honors
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Haynes and Boone, LLP Partner Roger Kuan talked with Life Sciences IP Review for an article about IP issues related to pharmaceutical companies’ efforts to provide more equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines and therapeutics. Below is an excerpt: In May, a consortium of pharmaceutical companies came together to pitch a new plan to help provide more equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines. The ‘five [...]