Alexander Lutzky is an associate in the Intellectual Property Litigation and Energy, Power and Natural Resources Practice Groups in the San Antonio office of Haynes and Boone. His practice covers the full spectrum of intellectual property client services but is focused on patent prosecution and litigation and trademark prosecution and litigation.
Prior to attending law school Alex obtained leadership and technical experience as a military officer in the United States Navy and had a successful career in the civilian nuclear power industry. Alex designed and operated a range of electrical power generation systems, including steam-driven turbine and battery back-up systems. A licensed Professional Engineer in Texas, his work experience also encompasses mechanical valve, steam boiler, turbine, and piping systems and technologies.
Alex provides the same level of dedicated service and technical experience to his clients as he did in his prior professions. Outside of his legal career, he continues to serve as a United States Navy Reservist.
- U.S. Navy Reserve Officer, 2010-Present
- Member, International Trademark Association Bulletin, North America Law & Practice Sub-committee
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2022
- Senior Associate Editor of the Year, St. Mary’s Law Journal, 2014-2015
- Staff Writer of the Year, St. Mary’s Law Journal, 2014-2015
- “No Likelihood of Confusion Found Between I’M SMOKING HOT and SMOKIN’ HOT SHOW TIME Marks,” author, INTA Bulletin, Vol. 74 No. 2, February 1, 2019
- “Federal Circuit Rebukes Trademark Trial and Appeal Board over Whether the Term “ZERO” Is Generic for Soft Drinks,” author, INTA Bulletin, Vol. 73 No. 18, October 15, 2018
- “District Court Uses 14-Year-Old TTAB Decision to Determine Likelihood of Confusion,” author, INTA Bulletin, Vol. 73 No. 5, March 15, 2018
- Comment, “In Pursuit of Just Compensation in Texas: Assessing Damages in Takings Cases Using the Property’s Tax-Appraised Value,” author, 46 St. Mary’s. L.J. 105.
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 2000
J.D., St Marys University School of Law, 2015, summa cum laude, St. Mary’s Law Journal, Senior Associate Editor, Staff Writer, 2013-2015
Judicial Intern for the Honorable Xavier Rodriguez, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, 2015
Judicial Intern for the Honorable Emilio M. Garza, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2013
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Seventy-five Haynes and Boone, LLP lawyers are included in the 2022 Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” directory this month. The Ones to Watch distinction is given to attorneys early in their careers in recognition of their outstanding professional excellence in private practice in the U.S. Nominated by peers in the industry, Ones to Watch recipients have been in practice for five to nine years. The fol [...]