Laura Miller brings intensity, intellectual curiosity, and a wealth of experience to every project she tackles. Whether representing technology companies in a patent infringement proceeding before the United States International Trade Commission, counseling clients on protection of their intellectual property as they expand their Internet or global presence, or helping high school students develop the analytical skills and self-confidence to succeed in college, Laura brings personal commitment and drive to her work.
Laura has more than 30 years of litigation and counseling experience and takes a hands-on approach while staying focused on the client’s ultimate goals and strategies. She is recognized as a leading patent practitioner by Intellectual Asset Management magazine's "IAM Patent 1000,” Globe Business Media Group from 2014-2020, which says that Laura "relishes getting to grips with vanguard technologies and creating stories around them for the courtroom."
While others may shy away from new technologies, Laura tackles them head-on. As her clients’ technology and business needs continue to evolve, Laura’s knowledge base expands to meet those needs. For example, as clients transitioned their business and advertising activities to online platforms to the internet, Laura counseled them on best practices for protecting and defending their IP rights. More recently, Laura has been counseling clients on the recently expanded post-grant proceedings that are available before the U.S. Patent Office for challenging and defending patents in that forum, and representing clients in those proceedings. Laura’s approach is to chart a course of action that not only solves a client’s immediate need, but also more broadly helps her clients meet their long-term business goals.
- Represented a global-based company in a jury trial and before the ITC in a patent infringement action relating to automated mechanical transmissions. A jury found in favor of the company on all counts.
- Represented a privately-held, international consumer goods company in an arbitration relating to misappropriation of the company’s trade secrets, breach of contract and tortious interference. The arbitration resulted in an award of more than $25 million for the company after a two-week bench trial.
- Represented an iconic American technology company before the International Trade Commission and district court in actions to enforce the company's large transmission over the Internet and image processing patents. Enforcement of the company's patent rights contributed to the successful sale and assignment of the company's patent portfolio.
- Board Member, IPLAC Educational Foundation
- Board Member, Legal Prep Charter Academy
- Volunteer, Legal Aid Chicago (formerly LAF)
- Volunteer, Chicago Cares
- Chicago Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
- Recognized in Managing Intellectual Property Magazine, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, as an IP Star, 2020-2021
- Leading Patent Practitioner, Intellectual Asset Management magazine's "IAM Patent 1000,” Globe Business Media Group, 2014-2021
- Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, 2004-2021
- Chicago's Notable Women Lawyers, Crain's Custom Media, Crain Communications, Inc., 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., Litigation - Patent, 2010-2015, 2019-2022
- Named in Euromoney’s Expert Guide to the World's Leading Patent Law Practitioners, 2017
- Leading Lawyers Network: Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer, 2004-2007, 2009-2016; Ranked No. 2 in Top 10 Women Intellectual Property Lawyers in Illinois, 2015; Top 100 Women Business Lawyers in Illinois, 2009; Top 50 Women Business Lawyers in Illinois, 2007
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, Intellectual Property Litigation, 2005-2017; Top 50 Female Attorneys, 2007-2008, 2012-2013
- “Ethics in Patent Litigation - Jury Research Including Use of Social Media,” speaker, PLI’s Patent Litigation 2019: Advanced Techniques & Best Practices, Chicago, IL, October 16, 2019.
- “New Strategies for Asserting and Defending Against Infringement Claims Involving Acts of Multiple Parties,” speaker, PLI Patent Litigation 2018: Advanced Techniques & Best Practices, Chicago, October 17, 2018.
- "What is The Right Strategy and What to Expect at the ITC?" speaker, CenterForce IP Strategy, New York, November 1, 2017.
- "New Strategies for Asserting and Defending Against Infringement Claims Involving Acts of Multiple Parties," speaker, PLI Patent Litigation 2017: Advanced Techniques and Best Practices, Chicago, October 12, 2017.
- "Risk Management and Strategic Defensive Litigation," speaker, Centerforce IP Defense Conference, Chicago, May 17, 2017.
- "Navigating Our Way to and Through the Board Room," speaker, Women in Bio, Chicago, March 21, 2017.
- “Litigating U.S. Patent Rights in a Changing Landscape,” co-author, 2016 Edition, Intellectual Property Law, ICLE, November 2016.
- "Acts of Multiple Parties - When Do They Constitute Patent Infringement," speaker, Practicing Law Institute Patent Litigation Seminar, Chicago, October 13, 2016.
- "PTAB and the District Courts," speaker, Managing Intellectual Property's U.S. Patent Forum, Palo Alto, CA, March 15, 2016.
- “Infringement Based on Acts of Multiple Parties,” speaker, Patent Litigation, Practicing Law Institute, October 8-9, 2015.
- "Is Your Patent Invalid? Go Ask Alice," speaker, ALM’s 27th Annual General Counsel Conference, June 3-4, 2015.
- "The Impact of the Amendments to the Federal rules of Civil Procedure in Patent Infringement Cases – What is ‘Proportional to the Needs of the Case?’" panelist, Federal Circuit Bar Association, Advanced Complex Litigation Series, May 2015.
- "Pins, Posts, and Platforms: Protecting IP in Social Media," speaker, IP Strategy Summit, October 8, 2014.
- "Utilizing ITC in Your IP Strategy," speaker, The IP Strategy Summit, May 13, 2014.
- “Patent Assertion and Non-Practicing Entities,” speaker, Northwestern JTIP 9th Annual Symposium, February 28, 2014.
B.A., University of Virginia, 1982
J.D., William Mary Law School, 1985
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Illinois Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
United States Supreme Court
Haynes and Boone, LLP had another impressive showing in The Best Lawyers in America directory published by Woodward/White, Inc., with a cross section of lawyers from offices across the country recognized in the 2022 edition. The guide includes more than 100 firm lawyers from the Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Costa Mesa, Dallas, Dallas-North, Denver, Fort Worth, Houston, New York, Palo Alto, San Anto [...]