Christos Papapetrou has achieved national recognition for his work on behalf of a wide array of clients who have consistently turned to him for some of their most challenging commercial litigation and white collar matters. Christos’s defense of these clients has earned in him a place on the Benchmark Litigation 40 and Under Hot List, published by Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC since 2018 and recognition as a “Rising Star” from 2015 to 2018 and a “Super Lawyer” from 2020 to 2021 in the New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars directory, published by Thomson Reuters.
Christos represents clients across a diverse range of legal areas, including complex civil litigation, criminal investigations and prosecutions, regulatory enforcement proceedings, and internal investigations. He has represented individuals and companies in state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout the country, including having authored dozens of appellate briefs in state and federal courts nationwide, including several federal courts of appeal and state supreme courts.
Christos has handled matters involving contract disputes, securities and consumer class actions, employment disputes, breaches of fiduciary duty, securities fraud, financial and accounting fraud, insider trading, public corruption, cybercrime, and trade secrets. He has represented individuals and companies in connection with investigations by the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, the U.S. Commodities Futures Exchange Commission, as well as various state criminal and regulatory authorities.
Christos also has extensive experience in complex cross-border matters and often advises clients on issues that arise in international cases and investigations. His clients often call upon him in crisis environments to craft effective solutions and to help identify critical governance and regulatory risks.
Christos is also an active member in numerous New York Bar related organizations―including serving as a member of the Federal Bar Council Inn of Court’s Executive Committee. Christos also devotes substantial time to pro bono matters―having represented clients pro bono in civil rights trials and appeals in federal court, including an individual facing the death penalty in Alabama in a federal habeas proceeding.
- New York Council of Defense Lawyers
- Federal Bar Council: member of the Awards Committee; member of the Committee on Sentencing and Alternatives to Incarceration; member of the Planning Committee for the Federal Bar Councils 2021 Rule of Law Symposium.
- Federal Bar Council Inn of Court: member of the Executive Committee; Co-Membership Chair of the Inn of Court
- Historical Society of the New York Courts
- New York Bar Association: member of the Federal Rules Committee
- New York City Bar Association
- Included in Benchmark Litigation’s 40 and Under Hot List, published by Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC from 2018 to 2021.
- Named a “Rising Star” from 2015 to 2018 and a “Super Lawyer” from 2020 to 2021 in the New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars directory, published by Thomson Reuters.
J.D., Fordham University School of Law, 2008, cum laude, Editor in Chief, Fordham Urban Law Journal (2007-2008)
B.A., History and Philosophy, Boston College, 2005, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Benchmark Litigation has again ranked Haynes and Boone, LLP Partners Michelle Scheffler and Christos Papapetrou among the nation’s leading litigators age 40 and under. It is the fifth consecutive year both lawyers have been included in the ranking. Attorneys named to Benchmark Litigation’s 2021 “40 & Under Hot List,” published by Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC, were chosen through several p [...]