Jonathan Pressment is a Director on the firm’s Board of Directors, the Chair of the firm’s New York Litigation group, and has served as a trusted advisor and counsel to some of the world’s most recognized Fortune 500 companies, institutions and individuals in some of their most complex civil litigation matters.
Whether it be his role as outside counsel to the National Football League in connection with a series of class actions and intellectual property matters; his representation of numerous professional sports franchises such as the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, New York Jets, Cleveland Cavaliers, Detroit Pistons and others; his work with counsel at the National Basketball Association and Major League Soccer; his role as outside counsel to AT&T Corp. and DIRECTV in litigations brought in New York state and federal courts; his representation of legendary fashion designer Michael Kors in a variety of commercial litigation and intellectual property related matters; his defense of well-known cell phone manufacturer HTC Corporation in a series of patent license disputes; his service as special counsel to the Trustee in the SIPC liquidation of former Senator and New Jersey Governor, Jon Corzine’s, now-defunct brokerage, MF Global, Inc.; his securing of a nearly $50 million judgment on behalf of Rabobank in a unanimous decision before New York State’s highest court, the Court of Appeals; his tireless representation of all five of New York City’s county bar associations in historic litigation waged against the Mayor of the City of New York with respect to indigent criminal defense services; or his securing of victory on behalf of one of America’s most beloved treats, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, in litigation to save the company’s lone New York City location from closure; Jon has consistently garnered attention for his successful work on behalf of Haynes and Boone clients. In fact, in January 2019, Law360 recognized Jon as a “Legal Lion” for his defense of the NFL against claims that its distribution of tickets to the Super Bowl violated New Jersey law – a case in which Jon secured a 7-0 decision in the NFL’s favor from the New Jersey Supreme Court. And, in September 2018, Jon was recognized for his work in securing a complete dismissal of all claims brought against SuperCom Ltd. and several of its officers and directors in a federal securities law class action brought in the Southern District of New York relating to the company’s financial projections. Most recently, in July 2022, Jon helped lead a team of Haynes and Boone attorneys to secure a $30 million arbitration award on behalf of a Fortune 50 client in a dispute arising from a virtual power purchase agreement pertaining to a renewable energy facility.
Jon’s value to clients is evident well before he ever sets foot into the courtroom on their behalf. The son of a solo practitioner, Jon sees even his biggest corporate clients as people and views even the largest of litigation budgets as limited. Jon recognizes that, for most clients, the costs, time commitment and consequences associated with litigation can be felt well beyond the litigation itself. As a result, clients frequently look to Jon to formulate innovative and effective litigation strategies that are mindful of the ramifications litigation poses to other areas of their businesses including their budgets, operations, anticipated transactions, corporate initiatives, and public relations.
Once formulated, Jon has the skills to ensure that litigation strategies are successfully implemented. Having appeared as first-chair trial and appellate counsel on matters before nearly all levels of state and federal courts, Jon has extensive experience in all aspects of case commencement, discovery, motion practice and trial practice in commercial litigation matters including matters pending before the New York State Court of Appeals, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the United States Supreme Court. And Jon has honed his skills across a wide array of disputes involving issues of breach of contract, intellectual property, civil liberties, securities, professional liability, entertainment law, products liability, bankruptcy and class action defense.
Apart from his work on behalf of clients of the firm, Jon is well-recognized for his important role in the New York City legal community as a former three-term Director on the Board of the New York County Lawyers’ Association (NYCLA) – one of the nation’s oldest and largest county bar associations. Among other things, Jon previously led NYCLA’s task force on indigent defense services, aiming to ensure that even the poorest of citizens are granted access to the effective assistance of counsel. In 2014, Jon was also appointed to serve as a delegate to the New York State Bar Association House of Delegates.
- Representation of the National Football League in connection with its defense of a putative class action alleging claims brought pursuant to the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act and for unjust enrichment with respect to the NFL’s distribution of tickets to Super Bowl XLVIII held at MetLife Stadium on February 2, 2014.
- Representation of the National Football League in connection with its defense of a putative class action alleging claims of breach of contract and fraud against the NFL and the Dallas Cowboys arising out of Super Bowl XLV.
- Appointed to serve as Special Counsel to James W. Giddens as Trustee for the SIPC Liquidation of MF Global, Inc.
- Representation of a Big Four accounting firm in an accountant liability action.
- Representation of the SIPC Trustee in a multi-million dollar liquidation of a defunct broker-dealer engaged in fraudulent securities trading activities.
- Representation of Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corporation in termination of franchise litigation in federal court in which a preliminary injunction was obtained to protect Krispy Kreme's intellectual property rights.
- Representation of the five county bar associations of New York City in suit against the Mayor of New York, the City of New York and the Mayor's Criminal Justice Coordinator regarding New York City's system for the provision of indigent defense services.
- Representation of an international software manufacturer in a trade secret and antitrust action.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 media company in a breach of contract suit against the purchaser of a former affiliate.
- Representation of beverage distribution company in breach of contract action regarding distribution agreement.
- Representation of the manufacturer of steam turbine engines in a multi-billion dollar commercial fraud and breach of contract action.
- Representation of insured in a multi-million dollar products liability action.
- Representation of television producers in breach of contract action brought by news division of one of the big four television networks.
- Representation of individual claimant in a Section 1983 action and three-week jury trial in federal district court regarding violations of constitutional rights arising from allegations of insufficient medical care.
- Selected for inclusion in New York Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2022
J.D., Tulane University Law School, 1997, cum laude, Order of the Barristers
A.B., American Civilization, Brown University, 1994, with honors.
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
Eleven Haynes and Boone, LLP’s lawyers are included in the 2022 New York Super Lawyers and Rising Stars directories. Published annually by Thomson Reuters, Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process includes independent research, peer nominations and peer evaluations of lawyers in [...]