Asal Saffari is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in Haynes Boone’s Orange County office. Her practice focuses on trademarks and brand management.
Asal has a broad range of experience helping companies protect their intellectual property on a global scale. Prior to joining the firm, Asal served as in-house trademark and brand protection counsel at Western Digital, a Fortune 500 technology company. She managed the full lifecycle of global trademark portfolios spanning thousands of marks from the storied Western Digital and WD brands. Her tenure at the company additionally saw her provide strategic counsel on global product launches and rebranding efforts.
Asal has worked extensively on technology transactions and IP licensing across a variety of industries, including entertainment, sports, and apparel. While serving as in-house counsel at VOLCOM, she worked on complex licensing agreements in connection with Authentic Brands Group’s acquisition of VOLCOM’s global IP portfolio. In addition to her trademark and transactional work, Asal frequently advises stakeholders on copyright and domain name disputes.
Awards and Recognition
- Los Angeles Times In-House Counsel Leadership Awards Finalist, Enterprise Public Company, August 2021
- International Trademark Association, Brands & Innovation Committee Member, 2022-2024
- Orange County Bar Association, Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Committee Member and Event Co-Chair, 2020 – Present
- Orange County Bar Association, International Law Executive Committee Member, 2022 – Present
- California Minority Counsel Program, Member and Planning Committee Volunteer, 2022 – Present
- In-House Counsel Panel, panelist, Orange County Intellectual Property Law Association, Irvine, CA (November 2021)
- "Trademark Clearance, Licensing, and Opposition," speaker, Chapman Law School, Orange, CA (February 2020)
- "Does Compliance Stifle or Spark Innovation?" speaker, IG3 Retreat Data Privacy Conference, Newport Beach, CA (December 2019)
J.D., Chapman University Dale E. Fowler School of Law, 2018
B.A., California State Polytechnic University Pomona, 2013