Matthew Thomas is an associate in the Litigation Practice Group in the Houston office of Haynes Boone.
Matt focuses his practice on litigating a wide variety of commercial, energy, and environmental matters in state and federal courts across the country.
- (S.D. Tex.) Obtained $4.1 million summary judgment on breach of contract claim for boutique consulting and advisory firm specializing in mergers and acquisitions.
- (218th District Court) Briefed, argued, and obtained dismissal with prejudice for major oil and gas company on jurisdictional grounds on the eve of trial.
- Associate, Baker Institute Roundtable
- Member, Houston Bar Association (Energy Law Section)
- Notes and Comments Advisory Committee Member, Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal
- Young Energy Professional, Institute for Energy Law
- “‘Adding Back’ to Precedent: The Supreme Court of Texas’s Decision in Devon v. Sheppard Interprets ‘Proceeds-Plus’ Royalty Clause,’” co-author, The Energy Dispatch, May 24, 2023.
- “Lessons from Litigation – Pitfalls of Emailing and How to Avoid Them,” presenter, October 14, 2022.
- “Exploring Professional Ethics in the Bakken Shale,” presenter, Doing Business in the Bakken Shale: What In-House Counsel Need to Know in 2022, May 12, 2022.
- “Houston Court of Appeals for the 14th District Breaks New Ground in JOA Exculpatory Clause Law,” co-author, Oil & Gas E-Report, March 24, 2022.
- “Biden PFAS Action Plan: A New Frontier?” co-author, Seventy-Third Annual Institute on Oil and Gas Law, February 8, 2022.
J.D., Emory University School of Law, 2021, honors, Editor-in-Chief, Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal
B.S., Economics, University of Kentucky, 2017, summa cum laude
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
On the Friday before the Fourth of July holiday, the oil and gas industry got a long-awaited answer from Texas’ Third Court of Appeals in the case of Railroad Commission of Texas, et al. v. Opiela. No. 03-21-00258-CV, 2023 WL 4284984, at *1 (Tex. App.—Austin June 30, 2023, no pet. h.). The case addresses production sharing agreement (PSA) wells and offers a glimpse into how that court views alloca [...]