Tom Tippetts is a partner in the Corporate and Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Groups of Haynes and Boone and has been a trusted business and legal advisor to financial and strategic dealmakers for nearly 20 years, assisting them to successfully close hundreds of significant transactions.
Tom’s practice focuses on U.S. and cross-border complex business transactions with a particular concentration on mergers and acquisitions and private equity. As an advisor to strategics and private equity funds and their portfolio companies, he has represented domestic and international clients in public and private mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations, leveraged buyouts, equity and debt financings, reorganizations, joint ventures, distressed sales and investments in and out of bankruptcy, and other strategic transactions. Tom also regularly advises clients on general corporate matters, corporate governance and significant commercial contract negotiations. In addition, he has represented public companies and their boards of directors and special committees in connection with business-transformative opportunities and legal challenges.
Tom has served as lead deal counsel and negotiated and completed transactions in a wide variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, software, technology, telecommunications, healthcare, entertainment, business and financial services, consumer products, energy, entertainment, industrials and manufacturing, retail and food and beverage.
- Telefonaktiebolaget L. M. Ericsson in multiple acquisition transactions involving, among others, CENX, Placecast and FYI Television.
- Trive Capital in multiple acquisition, divestiture and add-on transactions involving, among others, SSW Holding, NxEdge, ParFab, Iowa Northern Railway, Amteck, Madison-Kipp, AGM
- Automotive, Aevex Aerospace, Valence Surface Technologies, Pental Surfaces, Residential Design Services and Huron.
- Williamson-Dickie Manufacturing Company in its sale to VF Corporation and in its acquisition of Walls Industries.
- Wingate Partners in multiple acquisition, divestiture and add-on transactions involving, among others, Binswanger Glass, Nekoosa Holdings, Dunn Paper, Sunrise Oilfield Supply, MPI Products, Strata Worldwide, The HC Companies, S&N Communications, Industrial Container Services and Corrpro Companies.
- Harland Clarke in multiple acquisitions.
- Dean Foods Company in the sale of its Mountain High Yoghurt business and the Mountain High brand to General Mills.
- Prophet Equity L.P. in its bankruptcy acquisitions of the assets of Gulfstream Crane, LLC and Vestalife, LLC, and its acquisitions of Ace Asphalt of Arizona, Inc., Altec Lansing and Avega Systems, Inc.
- Rosewood Investments, Inc. in its purchase of assets from Heckethorn Manufacturing Co., LLC.
- Salty's Manufacturing, Ltd. in its sale to Stallion Oilfield Services.
- State Bar of Texas
- Named a Top Dealmaker in North Texas by the Dallas Business Journal, American City Business Journals, March 2017
- Recognized by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, as a "Best Lawyer in Dallas" in Corporate Law: Mergers & Acquisitions, 2016.
- Recognized by Chambers USA, Chambers & Partners, as an "Up and Coming" lawyer for Corporate/M&A in Texas, 2015; Corporate/M&A in Texas, 2016.
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2010, 2012, 2016-2017.
B.A., Brigham Young University, 2003, cum laude
J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, 2006, with honors; Articles Editor, The Review of Litigation
Represented Breck Partners LLC, a private equity firm, in connection with the acquisition of all of the equity interests in Essential Cabinetry Group, a manufacturer of custom, semi-custom, and stock-plus cabinetry.
Represented Blucora, Inc. in the $720 million sale of its tax software business, TaxAct, to an affiliate of Cinven Ltd., a UK-based private equity fund.
Represented Trive Capital, LLC in connection with its investment in Kittyhawk, Inc., a leading provider of Hot Isostatic Pressing services for a variety of industries including space, commercial aerospace, defense, and medical applications.
Represented SSW Advanced Technologies in connection with its acquisition of Schott-Gemtron Corporation, a manufacturer of specialty glass and glass systems used primarily by the home appliance industry in North America.
Represented Streamland Media LLC in its acquisition of Ingenuity Studios, LLC, a U.S. and Canada based visual effects company.
Represented Streamland Media in its acquisition of SIM Video International’s post-production picture and sound finishing services business.
Represented Trive Capital in its partnership with AMRO Fabricating Corporation, a leading manufacturer of precision machined and formed structures for aerospace, defense, and commercial markets.
Represented Trive Capital in its sale of AEVEX Aerospace, a leading provider of full spectrum airborne intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance solutions, to Madison Dearborn Partners and CoVant Management.
Represented a professional fund in its co-investment into a company specialized in the collection of startup data and the automation of startup deal-sourcing and assessment efforts.
Represented BuildGroup in its minority investment in VidMob, Inc., a full stack creative technology platform.
Haynes and Boone, LLP represented Avantax, Inc. (NASDAQ: AVTA), a leader in tax-focused financial planning and wealth management, in its take-private sale to Aretec Group, Inc., the holding company of Cetera Financial Group, Inc. (and portfolio company of Genstar Capital), a retail investment advice platform and network of independent financial advisors. Under the terms of the agreement, Cetera wi [...]