Kit Addleman is a partner in the Dallas and Fort Worth offices of Haynes and Boone, where she is a member of the White Collar Defense and Investment Funds Practice Groups. Kit is also co-head of the firm's Crisis Management Practice Group. Whether she is defending clients against charges of wrongdoing or helping clients stay off the government's radar, Kit uses the extensive experience she gleaned at the SEC to provide vigorous representation to advance her clients' interests.
Kit defends companies and their executives and directors against charges of civil and criminal misconduct, particularly investigations and litigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission and Department of Justice. Many of her experiences involve defending allegations of accounting and financial fraud, insider trading, hedge fund and advisor fraud, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
She also counsels public companies, investment advisors, hedge funds and broker-dealers concerning compliance with the securities laws and SEC rules.
Prior to joining Haynes and Boone at the end of 2009, Kit was the regional director of the Atlanta Regional Office of the SEC. She led the enforcement, examination and bankruptcy programs for the SEC in five Southeastern states, which included directing the enforcement priorities and resolutions of investigations and litigation. Kit has more than 20 years of experience with the SEC in the Atlanta, Fort Worth, Denver and Philadelphia offices including heading the enforcement program in the SEC's Fort Worth and Atlanta offices before being named the regional director in Atlanta in 2007.
Kit is a sought-after authority for her knowledge of the SEC's enforcement and examination programs and frequently speaks at national, international and regional conferences. She has also authored and contributed to numerous articles, white papers and alerts on the subject.
Kit brings the same zeal with which she serves her clients to her firm colleagues and to her community. She co-chairs the Women's Leadership Academy at Haynes and Boone for the development of senior associate women and is a member of the firm's diversity committee. Kit serves the Girl Scouts of Northeast Texas as a member of its Board of Directors, chairwoman for the Alumnae Association, and a member of the Communications and Philanthropy Committee. She is also on the board of both the National Society of Compliance Professionals and the Consumer Credit Counseling Service, supporting the missions of financial literacy and money management, investor protection and securities compliance.
Selected Publications and Speeches
- "4th Circ. Decision May Expand SEC's List of Defendants," co-author, Law360, June 26, 2014.
- "An Overview of the Hot Buttons and Pitfalls for Private Funds," National Society of Compliance Professionals Southern Regional Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, March 11, 2013.
- Cyber Crime and Other Economic Crimes seminar sponsored by Sandpiper Partners, LLC, speaker, March 5, 2013.
- "A Conversation between the National Exam Program and the Securities Compliance Community" at the SEC Fort Worth Regional Office, Moderator and host, February 6, 2013.
- Cybercrime Disclosure Issues, speaker at Pricewaterhouse Cooper’s annual client update, December 7, 2012.
- DealThink Seminar: "FINRA's Office of Fraud Detection and Market Intelligence" at Haynes and Boone, LLP, speaker, November 15, 2012.
- "SEC Enforcement: Issues & What to Do When the SEC Calls," National Association of Corporate Directors DFW Chapter speaker, November 13, 2012.
- "Securities Regulation and Litigation Challenges for the Investment Community," Fiduciary & Investment Risk Management Association Current Risk Issues Seminar, Dallas, November 2, 2012.
- "Regulatory Issues for Private Funds," panel moderator with regulators, National Society of Compliance Professionals national meeting, October 22, 2012.
- "Compliance Issues for Family Offices," roundtable panelist, National Society of Compliance Professionals national meeting, October 23, 2012.
- "Internal Investigations Issues," speaker at the Women’s In-house Network meeting, Dallas, October 2, 2012.
- "A View from the Bar - What Does Citibank Mean for Regulators?" panel member, 36th Annual Southwest Securities Conference, September 13, 2012.
- SEC "Reverse Outreach Series with Texas CCOs" sponsored by the DFW, Austin, and Houston Compliance Roundtables, host and speaker, June 27, July 18, and August 15, 2012.
- "Dealing with Ongoing Compliance Challenges," panel member, DFW Compliance Roundtable, May 9, 2012.
- "Golden Rules of Workplace Investigations," Corporate Counsel Institute, Dallas, April 20, 2012 and Houston, May 4, 2012.
- "Assessments, Compliance Programs, and Surviving SEC Examinations," speaker, and "Securities Regulator Panel," moderator, Fiduciary & Investment Risk Management Association National Meeting, March 26-28, 2012.
- "SEC Exam Issues for Investment Funds," speaker, and "Dialogue with Area Regulators," panel moderator, National Society of Compliance Professionals Southern Regional Meeting, Dallas, Texas, February 27, 2012.
- "Special Investigation: Are You Proactive or Reactive When The Phone Rings?" Texas Society of CPA's 2011 CPE Expo, Houston on December 8, 2011, Dallas on December 5, 2011 and San Antonio on December 1, 2011.
- "Conducting Internal Investigations; Identifying Issues and Avoiding Mistakes," National Association of Women Lawyers General Counsel Institute, November 3, 2011.
- "Private Funds: Portfolio Administration and Operational Controls," National Society of Compliance Professionals, national meeting, October 18, 2011.
- "Investment Advisers Regulatory Issues," panel moderator, National Society of Compliance Professionals national meeting, October 17, 2011.
- "A Year of SEC Rulemaking and Dodd-Frank Changes: Perspectives from the Boardroom," The Board Connection, October 6, 2011.
- "Global Risk Management: Elements of an Effective, Defensible FCPA Compliance Program to Prevent Bribery and Corruption," September 28, 2011.
- "Fiduciary Duty, Ethics and Compliance in the 'New SEC,'" Fiduciary & Investment Risk Management Association seminars, Cleveland, September 21, 2011; San Diego, October 20, 2011; New York, October 27, 2011; and San Antonio, November 4, 2011 (in conjunction with Texas Bankers Association).
- "Emerging Issues Regarding White Collar Frauds," Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Dallas, Texas September 15, 2011.
- "Dialogue with Area Regulators," panel moderator, National Society of Compliance Professionals Southern Regional Meeting, Dallas, Texas, April 11, 2011.
- "New Regulatory Reforms and the Impact on the Fund and Advisory Industry," Managed Funds Association and Texas Hedge Fund Association, Dallas, Texas, March 31, 2011.
- "Investigate! Dealing with Crisis and Government Investigations," Internal Audit Fraud Summit, Dallas, Texas, March 25, 2011.
- "Anti-Corruption and Bribery," Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) Compliance and Legal Annual Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona, March 23, 2011.
- "The Dodd-Frank Act & the Expansion of SEC Enforcement Powers," Minority Corporate Counsel Association event, Chicago, Illinois, March 16, 2011.
- "SEC and State Enforcement: Current Priorities and the Impact of Dodd-Frank," 33rd Annual Conference on Securities Regulation and Business Law, Dallas, Texas, February 11, 2011.
- "Legislative Reform and Regulatory Developments Affecting Hedge Fund Managers," National Society of Compliance Professionals Webinar, December 14, 2010.
- Austin Compliance Roundtable, Austin, Texas, November 17, 2010.
- "Managing the 'SEC Risk,'" Risk Issues and Compliance Seminar of the Texas Bankers Wealth Management & Trust section and the Fiduciary & Investment Risk Management Association, Houston, Texas, November 5, 2010.
- "The Changing SEC Regulatory Environment: Taking a Closer Look," National Association of Women Lawyers General Counsel Institute, New York, New York, November 4, 2010.
- "Legislative Reform and Regulatory Developments Affecting Hedge Fund Managers," National Society of Compliance Professionals National Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland, November 2, 2010.
- "FCPA Enforcement Trends in 2010; And, What's on the Horizon for 2011?" North Texas District Export Counsel Conference, October 13, 2010.
- "Financial Reforms: Overview of Legislation, Enforcement and Future Implications," American Bar Association Fifth Annual National Institute on Securities Fraud, October 8, 2010.
- "SEC Changes and Overview: 2010 Current Risk Issues," Fiduciary & Investment Risk Management Association seminars, Chicago, September 16, 2010, and New York, October 7, 2010.
- "Understanding How the Dodd-Frank Financial Reform Bill Impacts the 2011 Proxy Season," ExecSense Webinar, August 27, 2010.
- "SEC's Pay-to-Play Rule: The Essentials for Investment Advisers," ACA Compliance Group Webinar, August 24, 2010.
- DFW Compliance Roundtable with SEC 3 Compliance Consultants, August 11, 2010.
- "Staying out of SEC Trouble: The View from a Former Regional Director" Texas Bar Advanced In-House Counsel Course, San Antonio, Texas, July 23, 2010.
- "A Comprehensive Overview of Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act," Haynes and Boone Webinar, July 21, 2010.
- "'The SEC is Calling on Line 2': A Discussion of Current Enforcement Initiatives Affecting Fund Managers," Alternative Asset Management General Counsel Group, New York, June 22, 2010.
- "The Regulatory Ecosystem: Succeeding in Today's Rapid Enforcement Era," SunGard Compliance City Day Event, New York City, June 21, 2010.
- "The SEC's Enforcement Initiatives: How Will They Impact Boards?" The Boardroom Group, Dallas, May 25, 2010.
- "Current Issues & Trends Affecting Hedge Funds and Private Equity Firms," Haynes and Boone, Houston, May 5, 2010.
- "How the 'New SEC' May Impact You," National Investor Relations Institute DFW, Dallas, April 30, 2010.
- "War of the Worlds - When Attorneys and Accountants Collide," Texas General Counsel Forum, Dallas, April 28, 2010.
- "Succeeding in an Enforcement Era: Negotiating the Examination and Enforcement Labyrinth of the SEC," Keynote speaker at SunGard Compliance Summit, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, April 21, 2010.
- "Staying out of the crosshairs: SEC changes and overview," featured speaker in Webcast hosted by PriceWaterhouseCoopers, March 23, 2010.
- SEC Enforcement Actions Alleging Accounting Fraud Including Cases Against Auditors, Presentations to Audit Partners at Accounting Firms, February 25, 2010 and May 12, 2010.
- Preventing and Detecting Fraud - Tips for Investment Adviser Compliance Officers, National Society of Compliance Professionals, Atlanta, Georgia, February 22, 2010.
- "Avoiding the Government's Hot Buttons - A Practical Guide for Public Companies and Executives," Haynes and Boone, Dallas, February 18, 2010.
- "The Insider Trading Labyrinth: Staying Within the Lines and Avoiding Prosecution," Haynes and Boone, Dallas, February 16, 2010.
- Initiatives and Enforcement Emphasis at the SEC, Presentation to Mutual Fund Board of Directors, Dallas-Fort Worth, February 15, 2010.
- "Current Developments in SEC Enforcement," The University of Texas School of Law 2010 Conference on Securities Regulation and Business Law, February 2010.
- "Managing Risk: A Guide for Investment Advisers," National Society of Compliance Professionals Southern Regional Meeting, February 2010.