As the head of Haynes and Boone’s Trademark Practice Group, Purvi Patel Albers focuses on brand management, including domestic and international trademark portfolio protection and enforcement, and has extensive experience with trade dress and copyright counseling, IP licensing, social media, and cybersquatting and Internet issues. She counsels Fortune 500 companies and high growth ventures on the protection of their valuable brand investments and in recent years has been singled out by World Trademark Review for her "sophisticated brand management skills" and "incisive analysis, commercial awareness, and fast turnaround times."Purvi’s commitment to her clients has been recognized by the International Law Office (ILO) and Lexology in their Client Choice Awards - 2015, wherein she was awarded the exclusive winner of the Client Service award for Intellectual Property: Trademarks category. Purvi recently spent four months as acting trademark counsel for a leading global Internet retailer.
Her primary practice focus includes:
- Conducting domestic and foreign trademark and trade name clearance for established and emerging companies.
- Counseling clients regarding product and packaging design protection and clearance, including for footwear, jewelry, furniture, and household products.
- Recovering trademark domain names through Uniform Dispute Resolution Proceedings (UDRP).
- Counseling clients regarding on-line privacy issues, sweepstakes issues, advertising issues, and website policies.
- Maintaining and enforcing client trademark rights through opposition and cancellation proceedings with the U.S. Trademark Trial & Appeal Board.
- Various trademark infringement suits, including trade dress infringement and domain name disputes under the U.S. Anti-Cybersquatting Act (ACPA).
- Various copyright infringement suits, in areas including jewelry design and software end-user copying matters.
- Maintaining and enforcing domestic intellectual property rights through record of intellectual property with the U.S. Customs Bureau.
Purvi is on the Board of Directors of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and co-chaired INTA's 2013 Annual Meeting.
- Spent several months as acting trademark counsel for a leading global Internet retailer.
- Secured trademark protection and successfully handled enforcement on behalf of local celebrity chefs.
- Counseled the City of Lubbock regarding its rights to use the BUDDY HOLLY name.
- Managed and handled an expedited multi-country and multi-continent trademark clearance and filing initiative for more than fifty trademarks on behalf of a life sciences company.
- Successfully handled dozens of TTAB proceedings and domain name disputes on behalf of three Fortune 10 companies.
- Successfully handled multiple counterfeit seizure actions on behalf of several clients with U.S. Customs and Border Protection, including Commercial Metals Company.
- Developed company-wide copyright compliance program, training materials, and related agreements for a global communications company.
Notable Publications and Speeches
- "Shades of Meaning - Best Practices for Single-Color Trademark Protection," co-author, Intellectual Property Today, May 2014.
- "CM51 The Presumption of Irreperable Harm: Don’t Stop Believing," INTA Annual Meeting, May 12, 2014.
- "Trademark Protection in the New gTLD Landscape," State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, June 20, 2013.
- "Global Brand Protection Strategies for the Entertainment Industry," Dallas Bar Association, February 27, 2013.
- "IP Issues in Representing Entertainment New Technology Entrepreneurs," Cutting Edge Music Business Institute, New Orleans, September 27, 2012.
- "Creating an Environment Geared for Success," INTA TMA Conference, October, 2012.
- "A Question of Character - Best Practice in Managing Mascots," World Trademark Review, June/July 2012.
- "The Business Behind the Law: Perspectives from In-House Counsel and Outside Counsel," INTA Roundtable Host, January 24, 2012.
- "Trade Dress Protection and Enforcement: A U.S. Perspective," Korean Intellectual Property Association (KINPA) Annual Meeting, November 2011.
- "Technology Law & Licensing Apps," State Bar of Texas, 2011 Texas Minority Counsel Program Annual Meeting, September 8, 2011.
- "Global Traps and Opportunities: Business and Legal Issues in International Sales and Sourcing," TechLaw Fall CLE Conference, October 8, 2010.