Randall Colson is chair of Haynes and Boone's Technology Transactions Practice Group. Leveraging his industry experience as a hardware and software designer, Randy has extensive experience counseling clients with a myriad of technology and intellectual property-related transactions, including information technology and business process outsourcing, software development and licensing, SaaS, cloud computing, hosting, joint development, distribution, consulting, naming rights, and e-commerce transactions.
In addition, Randy provides counseling on the use and procurement of patents, trademarks and copyrights, as well as on the intellectual property issues related to corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate securities transactions. Prior to law school, Randy worked as an electrical engineer designing computer hardware and software for Data General Corporation. In addition to his law degree, Randy holds a B.S.E.E. in electrical engineering and a B.A.
has recognized Randy as a leading lawyer in Information Technology and Outsourcing from 2008-2013. He is recognized by the Legal 500 U.S. as a leading attorney in the patent licensing field and as a Texas Super Lawyer in Information Technology/Outsourcing, Intellectual Property, Mergers & Acquisitions, 2011-2013. Randy was also recognized in The Best Lawyers of America
® for Technology Law, 2013-2015. In October 2013, Randy was named as one of the Top Attorneys in Texas by Texas Monthly Magazine
Recent Speeches and Publications
- "Legal Ethics in Negotiation of Risk Allocation Provisions," Panelist, The University of Texas School of Law 27th Annual Technology Law Conference, Austin, TX, May 23, 2014.
- "Protecting User Data in Light of the FTC’s Recent Privacy Enforcement Actions," Co-Author, State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, Business Law Section and Corporate Counsel Section, June 21, 2013.
- Quoted in, "More Bars Are Hearing The Not So Sweet Sound of a Lawsuit," Dallas Business Journal, November 2, 2012.
- "Applications in the Cloud," Haynes and Boone Alert, April 19, 2012.
- "Qimonda's Impact on Patent Licenses When a Licensor Goes Bankrupt in a Foreign Land," Haynes and Boone Alert, January 9, 2012.
- "Office of the Future," BISNOW, Dallas, Texas, December 7, 2011.
- "The New Business Technology: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly," North Dallas Chamber of Commerce 5th Annual Technology Trends Conference, Dallas, TX, October 7, 2011.
- "2011 Advanced Technology Licensing: Selected Topics," 24th Annual UT CLE Technology Law Conference, Austin, TX, May 26-27, 2011.
- "How to Get Out of an IT Contract – Legal Issues," HFMA Lone Star Chapter Summer Institute, May 19, 2011.
- "Used DVD and Video Game Resales One Step Closer to Extinction," Haynes and Boone Alert, January 20, 2011.
- "Global Traps and Opportunities: Business and Legal Issues in International Sales and Sourcing," TechLaw Fall CLE Conference, October 8, 2010.
- "Licensing In The Real World," SMU Law School, November 1 2010.
- "Intellectual Property," University of Texas, Dallas, January 9, 2010.