Michael Cooper has significant experience in all aspects of corporate representation, ranging from day-to-day operational issues to major transactions to securities and taxation matters. He has represented clients in numerous industries, with the majority of his practice devoted to the highly regulated oil and gas, energy industry.
Michael is a Certified Public Accountant and the holder of an advanced degree in taxation, which enables him to evaluate the many aspects of sophisticated business transactions.
He has actively participated, as both Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel, in the growth of a company from start-up to a half billion dollar public entity. This experience facilitates his understanding of his clients' business goals and makes him particularly effective in helping them to pursue their own growth strategies. Because of his depth of experience, Michael can assist his clients not only with transactional issues, but also with operational and employment issues, risk management, compliance issues, and general corporate matters.
Publications and Speeches
- Panel Member, "Tort & Insurance Issues Facing the Oil and Gas Industry," Dallas Bar Association Tort and Insurance Practice Section, December 4, 2012.
- Speaker and Author, "Title Impacts Under Selected Complex Estates and Trust Transfers," National Association of Division Order Analysts, October 11, 2012.
- Speaker and Author, "Title Impacts Under Selected Complex Estates and Trust Transfers," Houston Association of Division Order Analysts, May 3, 2012.
- Panel Member, "Holes in the Documents: Protecting Your Interest in Downstream Contracts," National Petroleum Energy Credit Association, April 24, 2012.
- Guest Lecturer, "Due Diligence in Oil and Gas Transactions," Texas Tech Law School, March 2012.
- Guest Lecturer, "Choice of Entity in Texas," SMU Lyle School of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Department, Masters Program, 2008-2012.
- Speaker, "Due Diligence: Changing Standards," The 42nd Annual Houston Association of Professional Landmen Technical Workshop, April 2011.
- Speaker, "The Joint Operating Agreement: Are you Certain...?" EnerVest, Ltd., Land Department, March 2011.
- Martindale Hubbell® Law Directory Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™