Tamara Devitt is experienced in counseling and representing employers in all aspects of labor and employment law. She regularly defends employers against claims of discrimination, unlawful harassment, wrongful termination, unfair business practices and wage and hour claims, including class actions and complex litigation.
She advocates for employers in all aspects of employment litigation, including jury and bench trials, arbitration and pre-litigation negotiations, and in administrative tribunals, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, Department of Labor and California Labor Commissioner.
Tamara also advises and counsels employers on compliance, including hiring, discipline and termination practices, wage and hour issues, misconduct investigations (i.e., harassment, workplace violence, embezzlement), leaves of absence, reasonable accommodation of employees with disabilities, policies and procedures and employment agreements.
She regularly conducts management training and lectures on labor and employment issues.
Tamara joined the firm from a national labor and employment boutique, where she exclusively represented management and also served as a regional managing partner. Before becoming an employment lawyer, Tamara worked for nine years in human resources, where she handled employee relations, leaves of absence and benefits.
Selected Publications and Speeches
- "Mid-Year Review of Wage and Hour Trends in 2013," guest author, Daily Journal, July 17, 2013.
- "New Law Prohibits Discrimination against Breastfeeding in the Workplace," quoted in SHRM Magazine, December 8, 2012.
- "Top 5 Hot Topics for HR Professionals," presentation to Professionals in Human Resources Association D1, October 16, 2012.
- "Make Job Descriptions ADA-Ready: California HR’s How-To for Defining Essential Functions," Business & Legal Reports, Inc., HRHero, webinar presentation, July 30-31, 2012.
- "Hollywood Drama Should Remind Employers of Importance of Maintaining A Well-Drafted Arbitration Agreement," quoted in Walters Kluwer Law and Business, May 16, 2011.
News and Media
- Fox 11 LA News – television interview by legal analyst Robin Sax on New Breastfeeding Law in California, December 8, 2012.
- "Free Speech in the Private Workplace?" Daily Journal, May 23, 2012.
- "Getting Baby Time When You're a Working Mom," quoted in Bankrate.com, May 2012.
- "From Chalkboard to ‘Wall’ - Managing the Benefits of School-Sanctioned Social Media Use," Education World, October 18, 2010.
- "Can Twitter, Facebook hurt a business?" quoted in Orange County Business Journal, September 18, 2009.
- "Social Media and the Workplace," Executive Counsel, December 2010.
- Recognized as a Best Lawyer in America in Labor and Employment, 2015
- 2010 Nominee for Women in Business Orange County Business Journal