Micah Skidmore represents policyholders in significant insurance coverage disputes involving a variety of claims from commercial general liability, directors and officers liability, employment practices liability, and errors and omissions liability to first-party property claims, trade credit, and crime and fidelity claims. In addition to representing clients in general business litigation matters, Micah also regularly advises clients on the insurance implications of corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions; consults with brokers and policyholders in negotiations involving underwriting of directors and officers liability insurance policies and other sophisticated insurance products, including trade credit insurance; and counsels plaintiffs and policyholders in complex litigation on how to maximize insurance recovery for defense costs, settlements and judgments.
Micah is a contributor to The Dec Sheet, the firm's insurance law blog.
Speeches and Publications
- "Do Fracking Bans Trigger Civil Authority Coverage?" Law360, December 10, 2014.
- "Deepwater Horizon Is Not Over Yet," Law360, September 16, 2013.
- "A Policyholder's Guide to Insurance Coverage for 'Cyber' Events," Bloomberg BNA Corporate Accountability Report, July 26, 2013.
- "Appraisal in Texas: An Argument for Appraisal as a Key to Coverage," Journal of Texas Insurance Law, Summer 2012.
- "Insurance Appraisal as a Key to Coverage," Journal of Texas Insurance Law, Forthcoming, Fall 2012.
- "U.S. v. Jones: Warrantless Use of Vehicle Tracking Device," Patrick Higginbotham Inn of Court, November 2011.
- "Unintended Consequences: An Update on the Impact of the Financial Crisis on Your Insurance Coverage Practice," University of Texas Law School, 2011 Insurance Law Institute, November 2011, Austin, Texas.
- "Deductibles And Self-Insured Retentions: Who Pays When Multiple Policies Apply?" Headnotes, October 2011, Dallas Bar Association.
- "Don’t Expose Yourself: Risk Management in Your Franchise System," International Franchise Association, 44th Annual Legal Symposium, May 2011, Washington, D.C.
- "Keys to Coverage: Understanding and Fulfilling The Insured’s Contractual Duties," University of Houston, Advanced Personal Injury Seminar, July 2010.
- "A Comprehensive Overview of Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act," Haynes and Boone Webinar, July 21, 2010.
- "The Regulatory Reform Bill: Opportunities and Risks - Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act," Webinar, July 2010.
- "Reconciling APIE v. Garcia with Mid-Continent Cas. Co. v. Liberty Mutual Ins. Co.," Journal of Texas Insurance Law, Spring 2010.
- "MBIA, Inc. v. Federal Insurance Company: D&O Coverage For Regulatory Subpoenas & Derivative Investigations," Corporate Counsel, February 2010.