Karen Denney is a partner in the Labor and Employment Practice Group and is Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Karen represents clients in employment litigation and arbitration matters involving a variety of claims, including claims concerning age, sex, race, national origin, disability, the Family Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, retaliation, misappropriation, gross negligence, breach of contract, defamation, tortious interference, covenants not to compete and other employment laws and related torts. She has also represented employers in negotiations and/or proceedings with the Department of Labor, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, and the Texas Workforce Commission and parties in numerous employment arbitrations before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. She frequently prepares employment agreements and employment-related policies; counsels employers on various issues concerning hiring, disciplining and terminating employees, investigating harassment and discrimination complaints, social media-related employment issues, and covenants not to compete; and performs public seminars on assorted employment law topics.
Select Publications and Speeches
- "Social Media and Labor and Employment Law in 2015 and Beyond," co-author, Bloomberg BNA's Social Media Law & Policy Report, January 13, 2015.
- "Employment Law Update: Why Employers Never Get a Good Night’s Sleep," 2015.
- "Employment Law 101: The Basics and Emerging Issues," 2015.
- "Putting It Into Practice: Employee Situations and How to Respond, 2014.
- "Labor and Employment Law and Social Media: 2013 in Review and a Look Ahead to 2014," co-author, Bloomberg BNA's Social Media Law & Policy Report, January 21, 2014.
- "Drawing the Line on Social Media," HRE Online, January 13, 2014.
- "Social Media Employment Law Evolving," Fort Worth Business Press, December 9, 2013.
- "Social Media and Labor and Employment Law: Top Five Issues to Watch in 2013," co-author with Alex Stevens, Social Media Law Reporter, January 24, 2013.
- "Tax Implications in Employment Law," 2013.
- "Helping Employers Stay On Top of Employment Law Changes," chapter in Inside the Minds publication, The Impact of Recent Regulatory Developments in Employment Law, Aspatore Books, 2013.
- "Hot Topics in Employment Law for 2013," 2013.
- "How Do I Manage Employees and Employment Law?" 2013.
- "What Not to Ask in an Interview and Other Helpful Employment Law Tips," 2013.
- "The Fair Labor Standards Act: Back to the Basics," 2012.
- "The Family Medical Leave Act: The Devil is in the Details," 2011.
- "Texas Employees Receive New Gun Rights," Haynes and Boone Alert, 2011.
- "Responding to an EEOC Charge: How to Answer when the EEOC Comes Knocking," 2010.
- "The Americas with Disabilities Act and the New Regulations of the Family Medial Leave Act," 2009.