Purvi Patel Albers is a member of the firm’s board of directors and serves as trusted adviser and counsel to Fortune 500 companies and high-growth ventures on the management of their valuable brand investments. Purvi has been recognized for bringing "an amazing personality and a fantastic reputation" to her work on portfolio management and trademark enforcement for domestic and multinational companies. (Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, 2017). She also has been highlighted by World Trademark Review for her "sophisticated brand management skills" and "incisive analysis, commercial awareness, and fast turnaround times."
Purvi’s primary practice focus includes:
- U.S. and foreign trademark clearance, protection and enforcement strategy
- U.S. and foreign trademark and internet enforcement, including oppositions, cancellations and Uniform Dispute Resolution Proceedings (UDRP) disputes
- Social media counseling and enforcement
- Copyright, trade dress, non-traditional trademark and customs counseling and enforcement.
Purvi currently serves as a World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Arbitrator for the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP). Purvi also serves as an NSO National Trustee for the National Symphony Orchestra, on the Executive Committee and Board of Directors for both The Arts Community Alliance (TACA) and Dallas Theater Center (DTC), and on the Board of Directors for the Indian American CEO Council (IACEO). She previously served on the board of directors of the International Trademark Association (INTA) from 2013-2015, and co-chaired INTA's 2013 annual meeting.
- Spent several months as acting trademark counsel for a leading global technology company and internet retailer.
- Secured trademark protection and successfully handled enforcement on behalf of local celebrity chefs.
- Counseled the City of Lubbock regarding its rights to use the Buddy Holly name.
- Managed and handled an expedited multi-country and multi-continent trademark clearance and filing initiative for more than fifty trademarks on behalf of a life sciences company.
- Successfully handled dozens of TTAB proceedings and domain name disputes on behalf of three Fortune 10 companies.
- Successfully handled multiple counterfeit seizure actions on behalf of several clients with U.S. Customs and Border Protection, including Commercial Metals Company.
- Developed company-wide copyright compliance program, training materials, and related agreements for a global communications company.
- World Trademark Review (WTR) Trademark Elite Panel (2020-present)
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Board of Directors (2013-2015); Co-Chair of Annual Meeting 2013; Impact Studies Committee (2016-present); Leadership Development Committee (2012-2016); Chair of the Young Practitioner's Committee (2009-2011)
- State Bar of Texas Intellectual Property Law Section
- State Bar of Texas Minority Counsel Program Steering Committee (2003-2005, 2007, 2011, 2012)
- Indian American CEO Council (IACEO) – Member of the Board of Directors
- Family Gateway - Member of the Board of Directors
- National Symphony Orchestra – NSO National Trustee
- Dallas Theater Center - Member of the Executive Committee and Board of Trustees
- TACA – The Arts Community Alliance – Member of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors
- National and Dallas Asian American Bar Association
- Recognized as a leader in Trademarks, Lexology Client Choice Awards, Lexology, 2022
- Recognized as a leading trademark professional by World Trademark Review's WTR 1000, Globe Business Publishing, Ltd., 2011-2023; noted as "a responsive, conscientious and client-focused service provider," Globe Business Publishing Ltd, 2013; noted as "second to none in terms of portfolio management know how and a prominent contributor to the legal community," Globe Business Publishing Ltd, 2014; noted as "managing and enforcing marquee brands, both domestically and internationally," Globe Business Publishing Ltd, 2017
- World Trademark Review (WTR) Trademark Elite Panel (2020-present)
- Listed in World IP Review Leaders Directory, Newton Media Ltd., 2022
- Listed in Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, for Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright and Trade Secrets (Texas), 2016-2022
- Recognized as a Women in Business honoree, Dallas Business Journal, 2021
- Recognized for “Trademarks: Non-Contentious (including Prosecution, Portfolio Management and Licensing)”, Legal 500, 2021-2022
- Shortlisted for “Practitioner of the Year (Trademark Prosecution)” Managing Intellectual Property, 2021-2022
- Recognized as a Rainmaker, Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA), 2022
- Recognized as a Leader, World IP Review (WIPR) Leaders Directory, 2022
- Recognized as an IP Star, 2019-2022; a Trademark Star in Texas, 2017-2022; IP Star, Highly Recommended, 2013-2015; IP Stars - Top 250 Women in IP, 2013-2014, 2019-2023, by Managing Intellectual Property, Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., for Trademark Law, 2020-2022
- Recognized as a Leading Lawyer, WIPR Leaders, Newton Media Ltd., 2017-2018, 2021-2023
- Lawyers of Color, Nation’s Best, 2020
- Women in Business Law Expert Guide, Best in Trademark, Legal Media Group – Euromoney, 2014-2015, 2017-2019, 2022
- Selected for inclusion in Who's Who Legal: Global Leader, Trademarks, Law Business Research, Ltd, 2019
- Recognized in WTR Global Leaders: Private Practice, Law Business Research, 2019-2021
- Recognized as one of Texas' Most Powerful Businesswomen by The National Diversity Council, 2016; Top 50 Multicultural Lawyers - Dallas, 2017
- Recognized as one of the “Best Lawyers of Dallas” by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, for IP Law, 2015-2023
- Client Choice award for Texas by International Law Office (ILO) and Lexology, Globe Business Media Group, in Intellectual Property: Trademarks, 2015
- Recognized as a Top 40 Under 40 Honoree by Dallas Business Journal, American City Business Journals, 2014
- Selected us a Rising Star: One of 10 IP Attorneys Under 40 to Watch by Law360, Portfolio Media, Inc., 2010
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2004, 2013-2019
- Recognized as one of the Best Lawyers Under 40 in Dallas by D Magazine, D Magazine Partners, 2006
- “Trademark Law Update,” speaker, State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, June 10, 2022.
- "Mentorship and Sponsorship and Why You Need Both to Succeed,” speaker, South Asian Bar Association (SABA) Leadership Institute, April 14, 2022.
- “Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: Walking the Talk,” speaker, INTA 2021 Annual Meeting – New York Mini-Conference, New York, NY, November 16, 2021.
- “Powering Change: Women in Innovation and Creativity", speaker, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) Convention, Austin, TX, November 8, 2019.
- “Self-Advocacy, Career Development & Personal Negation,” panelist, Centerforce Women in Law and Leadership Summit, Dallas, October 16, 2019.
- "When the Answer is NO: Understanding Refusals," panelist, State Bar of Texas Intellectual Property Law Workshop: Trademarks in IP, Dallas, February 27, 2019.
- "Hear All About It! Key TTAB Decisions and Applications of New TTAB Rules," speaker, 2018 AIPLA Spring Meeting, Seattle, May 16, 2018.
- "Moving with the Tempo of Trending Social Media Issues," INTA TMAP Meeting, September 2017.
- "Shades of Meaning - Best Practices for Single-Color Trademark Protection," co-author, Intellectual Property Today, May 2014.
- "The Presumption of Irreparable Harm: Don’t Stop Believing," INTA Annual Meeting, May 12, 2014.
- "Trademark Protection in the New gTLD Landscape," State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting, June 20, 2013.
- "Global Brand Protection Strategies for the Entertainment Industry," Dallas Bar Association, Feb. 27, 2013.
- "IP Issues in Representing Entertainment New Technology Entrepreneurs," Cutting Edge Music Business Institute, New Orleans, Sept. 27, 2012.
- "A Question of Character - Best Practice in Managing Mascots," World Trademark Review, June/July 2012.
- "The Business Behind the Law: Perspectives from In-House Counsel and Outside Counsel," INTA Roundtable Host, Jan. 24, 2012.
- "Trade Dress Protection and Enforcement: A U.S. Perspective," Korean Intellectual Property Association (KINPA) Annual Meeting, November 2011.
- "Technology Law & Licensing Apps," State Bar of Texas, 2011 Texas Minority Counsel Program Annual Meeting, Sept. 8, 2011.
J.D., Emory University, 1998, Managing Editor, Emory International Law Review
B.A., Emory University, 1995, summa cum laude
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Haynes and Boone, LLP has been honored as one of the nation’s Top 12, “Gold-Tiered” trademark firms in the 2022 edition of the World Trademark Review 1000 directory. Additionally, the firm was ranked as one of two Gold-tiered firms in Texas and as a Top 20 trademark firm in New York. Gold ranked firms are the “crème de la crème,” WTR said, lavishing Haynes Boone’s Trademark Practice Group with [...]
Haynes Boone and Purvi Patel Albers Recognized as Industry Leaders in 2022 Managing IP Americas AwardsFebruary 17, 2022