Polly Fohn has argued to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and Texas appellate courts and has been involved in appeals of some of the largest jury verdicts in Texas since graduating from Harvard Law School in 2008.
Named a “Rising Star” by Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, from 2013-2021, Polly has achieved victories for her clients even when the odds were stacked against them. For example:
- Persuaded a court of appeals to stay execution on a multimillion dollar judgment pending appeal even through her client could not post a supersedeas bond.
- Convinced a trial court to render a take-nothing judgment in the face of an adverse multimillion dollar jury verdict.
- Obtained an emergency stay within hours of seeking relief from the court of appeals and ultimately went on to achieve mandamus relief for her client.
- Successfully petitioned an en banc court of appeals to reverse a panel decision and render judgment for her client.
In addition to her work in the courts of appeals, Polly regularly collaborates with trial teams to obtain summary judgment, exclude or protect key expert witnesses, and draft and argue jury charges in high-stakes litigation.
Polly is also an active member of the legal community. She currently serves as chair of the Houston Bar Foundation, which is the charitable arm of the Houston Bar Association and is a and former Editor-in-Chief of The Houston Lawyer magazine. Polly is also a regular speaker on recovery of attorneys’ fees, preservation of error and summary judgment practice at State Bar of Texas CLE programs.
Polly gives back to her community as a Young Leader of the United Way of Greater Houston.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers, Woodward/White, Inc., for Appellate Practice, 2021-2022
- Included among the Texas Rising Stars Up-and-Coming 100 list, Thomson Reuters, 2020-2021
- “Rewriting the Rules in the Age of COVID-19: Becoming a Futurist,” speaker, The Women in Law Summit Series Driving Diversity in Law & Leadership, Houston, Texas, March 18, 2021.
“Summary Judgment Practice & Procedure,” speaker, State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Trial Course, San Antonio, Texas, July 17, 2019.
- “Proving Up Attorneys’ Fees in State and Federal Court,” speaker and author, State Bar of Texas Advanced Evidence and Discovery Course, Houston and San Antonio, Texas, 2019.
- “Recent Developments in the Award of Attorneys’ Fees,” speaker and author, State Bar of Texas Advanced Evidence and Discovery Course, San Antonio and Dallas, Texas, 2018.
- “Texas Supreme Court Update,” speaker and author, State Bar of Texas, 34th Annual Litigation Update, January 11, 2018.
- “Recent Developments in the Award of Attorneys’ Fees,” speaker, Harris County Judges Conference, August 9, 2017.
- “Recent Developments in the Award of Attorneys’ Fees,” UT Law Conference on State and Federal Appeals, June 2, 2017.
- “Interlocutory and Permissive Appeals,” moderator, Houston Bar Association’s 2017 Civil-Appellate Bench Bar Conference, Houston, Texas, April 6, 2017.
- “Proving Up and Appealing Attorneys’ Fees,” speaker, State Bar of Texas’ Women and the Law Section Webinar, November 10, 2016.
- “Texas Supreme Court Update,” Author, The Advocate’s Best of Litigation Update, Spring 2016.
- "Texas Supreme Court Update: Focus on Business, Energy and Interesting Cases," presentation to the Association of Corporate Counsel Houston, April 22, 2016.
- “The Texas Supreme Court: Focus on Business, Energy & Procedure,” panelist, Houston Bar Association Appellate Section Meeting, March 2016.
- “Spotlight: Teach Texas Committee,” author, The Houston Lawyer, February 2016.
- “5 Texas Supreme Court Energy Cases to Watch,” co-author, Law360, January 2016.
- “Recent Developments in the Recovery of Attorneys’ Fees,” speaker and author, State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Trial Course, Houston, 2015.
- “The Honorable Brett Busby: Supporting the Houston Symphony,” author, The Houston Lawyer, June 2015.
- “Malcolm Gibson: Sometimes it Takes a Brain Surgeon to Run a Marathon,” author, The Houston Lawyer, June 2015.
- “Texas Supreme Court Update: Focus on Energy, Business & Procedure,” speaker and author, Houston Bar Association, Appellate Section Meeting, January 2015.
- “Preservation of Error at Trial,” speaker and author, State Bar of Texas Advanced Personal Injury Course, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio, 2014.
- “Surface Access, the Accommodation Doctrine, and Fresh Groundwater,” author, 27th Annual Energy Law Institute, Houston, 2014.
- "Linda Marshall: The Beauty of Words,” author, The Houston Lawyer, October 2014.
- “Summary Judgments in Texas,” speaker, State Bar College Summer School Course, Galveston, 2014.
- "Summary Judgments in Texas," State Bar of Texas Advanced Personal Injury Course, San Antonio, 2013.
- "Effective Communication," Women Driving Medicine Series, West Houston Medical Center, 2013.
- "Reasons for Reversal," State Bar of Texas Advanced Civil Trial Course, Houston and San Antonio, 2012.
- "Appellate Case Update," Houston Bar Association Appellate Section, Houston, 2012.
- "Fifth Circuit Civil Appellate Update," co-Author, The Appellate Advocate, State Bar of Texas Appellate Section Report, Fall 2011, Vol. 24, No. 1.
- "Texas Supreme Court Update," co-Author, The Appellate Advocate, State Bar of Texas Appellate Section Report, Winter 2010, Vol. 23, No. 2.
B.S., Chemistry, Brown University, 2004, magna cum laude, with honors
J.D., Harvard Law School, 2008, cum laude, Journal on Legislation, Supervising Editor
Law Clerk, the Honorable R. Lanier Anderson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit (2008-2009)
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Haynes and Boone, LLP had another impressive showing in The Best Lawyers in America directory published by Woodward/White, Inc., with a cross section of lawyers from offices across the country recognized in the 2022 edition. The guide includes more than 100 firm lawyers from the Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Costa Mesa, Dallas, Dallas-North, Denver, Fort Worth, Houston, New York, Palo Alto, San Anto [...]