Caroline Hurtado Ford is a counsel in the Litigation Practice Group in the Orange County office of Haynes and Boone. Her practice focuses on the enforcement of rights and claims under insurance policies on behalf of corporate and public entity policyholders. Her extensive background and experience in corporate management gives her special insight into her clients' challenges and need for value-oriented strategies for solving business and risk allocation problems through insurance.
Prior to joining Haynes and Boone, Caroline was a partner in a national insurance recovery firm. Before beginning her legal career, Caroline worked as operations manager for an international distribution corporation. Her personal involvement in handling complex business transactions with large corporations gave her an ability to perceive the practical needs of corporate clients that she now uses to recommend cost-effective solutions to insurance recovery problems.
- Recognized by Southern California Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2018-2021
- Named a "Top 40 under 40" by the Pacific Coast Business Times, The Business Times Legacy Publishing Division, 2007
- Board of Directors, Little Angels Preschool
- American Bar Association
- California Bar Association Litigation
- Orange County Bar Association
- Ventura County Bar Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Santa Barbara Women Lawyers
- "False Claims Act Liability Coverage and Exclusions under General Liability, Directors & Officers, Professional Liability and Employment Practices Liability Policies," co-author, ABA Litigation Section, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, March 1, 2019.
- "How Could That (Not) Be Covered? Truthiness and Coverage for False Claims Act Liability,” speaker, ABA Section of Litigation, 2019 Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, Tucson, AZ, March 1, 2019.
- "Mad Skillz: Professional Services Coverage & Exclusions in the High-Tech Era," speaker, ABA Section of Litigation, 2018 Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, Tucson, AZ, March 1, 2018.
- “Insurance Toolkit: Practical Tips for Every Litigator,” speaker, ABA Roundtable Committee, presented by the Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, October 10, 2017.
- “Shrunken Chickens, Neck Flanges, Pill Mills & Bacteria: New Cases Shed Light on Perennially Difficult Issues in Products-Related Coverage,” panelist, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, March 4, 2017.
- "Attorney-Client Privilege in Bad Faith Litigation: Pushing the Limits - Asserting or Defending Against Implied Waiver of the Privilege," speaker, Strafford Publications, Ventura, CA, March 5, 2014.
- "Allocation Clauses: Hidden Exclusions," author, Enforce, April 1, 2013.
- "Asserting or Defending Against Implied Waiver of the Privilege," speaker, Strafford Publications Attorney-Client Privilege in Bad Faith Insurance Litigation Webinar, Ventura, CA, March 12, 2013.
- "Risk Management Strategies for Captive Lenders in a Financial Crisis," author, Enforce, September 5, 2012.
- "Don’t Get Robbed of Your Fidelity Coverage," author, Enforce, May 26, 2011.
- "Don't Get Robbed of Your Fidelity Coverage," author, Policyholder Advisor & Alert, August 26, 2010.
- "Is The Attorney-Client Privilege Bulletproof When Insurance Companies Use It To Disguise Bad Faith Claim-Handling?," author, Enforce, April 1, 2010; Corporate Counsel, March 2, 2010.
- "Insurance for Lawyers: Are You Covered?," author, Enforce, June 1, 2009.
- "Insurance Broker Malpractice: Pitfalls Arising Out Of The Broker-Client Relationship," author, Enforce, June 1, 2009.
- "Fiscal Policies as Decisive Solutions for Troubled Economies: Differing Legislative Enactments in Argentina and Ecuador," author, Loy.L.A. Int'l & Com. L. Rev. 391, January 1, 2002.
B.A., International Relations, University of Southern California, 1997
J.D., Loyola Law School Los Angeles, 2003
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Haynes and Boone, LLP Partners Ken Parker and M.C. Sungaila and Counsel Caroline Hurtado Ford have been listed in the 2020 edition of the Southern California Super Lawyers directory, published by Thomson Reuters. Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection p [...]