Garrett Martin is an associate in the Litigation Practice Group in the Houston office of Haynes and Boone. His practice focuses on representing energy industry clients in all stages of dispute resolution, including litigation, arbitration, and appellate review. Garrett’s representation extends beyond assisting in core oil-and-gas disputes, but also includes advocating in environmental and financial disputes within energy industry.
In addition to his energy litigation practice, Garrett has represented clients in a variety of other complex commercial and tort disputes, including, fiduciary litigation, breach-of-contract disputes, financial litigation, and Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act claims, wrongful death claims.
- Defense of oil and gas producers in royalty and lease-termination litigation, including class action and large multi-district litigation, against both private and governmental entities.
- Defense of oil and gas operator against breach of marketing agreement claims by gas processor.
- Assisted in the successful defense of oil & gas operator against class action royalty underpayment claims in Kansas.
- Representation of oil & gas operator in leasing, unconstitutional taking, and regulatory dispute with municipality.
- Defense of oil and gas producers and midstream entities in environmental, emissions, and nuisance claims and associated regulatory enquiries.
- Representation of operating and non-operating working interest owners in joint operating agreement disputes.
- Representation of insureds against real property title defect claims.
- Representation of commercial lenders in collection matters, receiverships, and other asset location and protection cases.
- Defense of fiduciary litigation for financial institutions.
- Representation of financial institution in successful appeal of adverse jury verdict stemming from a commercial loan.
- Assisted in preparing and multiple petitions of review to the Texas Supreme Court and appellate briefs to the Texas Courts of Appeals and Fifth Circuit related to oil and gas issues.
- Institute for Energy Law’s (IEL) Leadership Class
- Chair of Tarrant County Bar Association Environmental Section
- Cliburn 180 Advisory Board Member
- University of Texas Vis Moot Arbitration Team Coach
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2021-2022
- Recognized by Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters, 2021-2022
- Tarrant County's Top Attorneys, Fort Worth, Texas, 2016, 2018
- “Lessor, May I? – Ramifications of Consent-to-Assign Provisions,” presenter, Houston Association of Professional Landmen’s 51st Annual Technical Workshop, Houston, Texas, September 22, 2020.
- "The Risk of Prematurely Forming a Binding Contract in the Age of Email," co-author, Landman Magazine, March/April 2018.
- “Use of the Special Warranties in Texas Oil and Gas Transactions,” presenter, Dallas Bar Association, January 2018.
- “Application of the Accommodation Doctrine to Water Rights,” presenter, Fort Worth Bar Association, January 2017.
J.D., International Commercial Arbitration and Investor-State Arbitration, University of Texas School of Law, 2014, Editor-in-Chief, Texas International Law Journal; Editor, Texas Journal of Oil, Gas, and Energy Law
B.A., University of Texas at Austin, 2010, with honors
Law Clerk/Intern/Extern to the Honorable Justice Debra Lehrmann, 2014-2015
The Legal 500 U.S. 2022 ranked nine Haynes and Boone, LLP practice areas among the best in the nation, up from five ranked practices in 2021. The directory, now in its 35th year, analyzes the capabilities of law firms and lawyers in various markets, based on surveys of more than 300,000 buyers of legal services. The Legal 500 is an independent guide; firms and individuals are recommended purely [...]