Mike McArthur is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group. His practice focuses on all aspects of trademark law, including brand management, clearance and prosecution, and global enforcement. His experience includes representations of clients of all sizes, ranging from individual entrepreneurs and emerging startups to Fortune 500 multinational corporations.
In particular, Mike regularly investigates, analyzes, and opines on the availability of potential marks, drafts and prosecutes trademark applications through to registration, addresses intellectual property violations across social media, negotiates settlement and coexistence agreements, and manages Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings, and trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings. Additionally, he has experience representing both rights holders and purported infringers in numerous cases involving seized or detained shipments by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Before joining the firm, Mike studied at Vanderbilt Law School where he was a John W. Wade Scholar and a Managing Editor on the Vanderbilt Law Review. Mike also spent a summer during law school as a judicial intern to the Honorable A. Joe Fish of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas and to the Honorable Reed O’Connor of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Mattress Firm, Inc. v. Redacted for Privacy (Iceland), FA2203001989499 (Nat. Arb. Forum April 22, 2022) – Successfully represented Mattress Firm in recovering disputed domain name mattressfirm.us.com via rarely-utilized CentralNic Dispute Resolution Policy (CDRP).
- Klabzuba Oil & Gas, Inc. v Desmond c Cole / icapital, FA1506001625753 (Nat. Arb. Forum July 31, 2015) -- Successfully represented Klabzuba Oil & Gas, Inc. in recovering disputed domain name klazuba.com.
- Klabzuba Oil & Gas, Inc. v Lakhpat Singh Bhandari, FA1506001625750 (Nat. Arb. Forum July 17, 2015) -- Successfully represented Klabzuba Oil & Gas, Inc. in recovering disputed domain name klabzuba-oilgas.com.
- Klabzuba Oil & Gas, Inc. v. Ross Micheal, FA1505001619813 (Nat. Arb. Forum July 2, 2015) – Successfully represented Klabzuba Oil & Gas, Inc. in recovering disputed domain name klabzubaoilgas.com.
- International Trademark Association, Academic Committee Member
- Dallas Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2021-2023
- "The NFTs clause: are licensors waking up to digital use?" quoted, World IP Review, June 20, 2022.
- “Litigation in the Metaverse: Is IP Fit for Purpose?" quoted, World IP Review, June 7, 2022.
- "Managing Sketchy Emails: How Counsel Fight Scams and Spam," quoted, Managing Intellectual Property, May 19, 2022.
- "Brand owners should get TM versed in the metaverse," co-author, Reuters, May 18, 2022.
- "Mattress Firm’s CDRP Domain Takedown Sheds Light on CentralNIC Brand Protection Offering, quoted, World Trademark Review, May 2, 2022.
- "Mattress Firm Gets Infringing URL Back Through 'Rare Tool'," quoted, Law360, April 26, 2022.
- “Intellectual Property in Franchise Law: What Franchise Lawyers Need to Know about Trademarks”, presenter, Franchise and Distribution Law Section, Dallas Bar Association, August 17, 2021.
- “Name Drop" co-author, Intellectual Property Magazine, September 29, 2020.
- Quoted in “DC NFL Team Buys Time with Temporary Name Change,” Law360, July 23, 2020.
- Quoted in “How Do You Rebrand a Franchise Like the Washington NFL Team? Seven Key Takeaways,” World Trademark Review, July 17, 2020.
- “The USPTO Extends Certain Trademark Deadlines Again, Now Through May,” co-author, Haynes Boone Client Alert, April 8, 2020.
- “U.S. Federal Courts Now Must Be Bound by TTAB Decisions to a Greater Extent,” co-author, Haynes Boone Client Alert, March 24, 2015.
- “Supreme Court Favors Juries over Judges in Deciding Consumer Perspective Trademark Issue,” co-author, Haynes Boone Client Alert, January 23, 2015.
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 2014,
Managing Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review
B.S.E., Mechanical Engineering, Duke University, 2010
Judicial Intern to the Honorable Judge A. Joe Fish, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Summer 2012
Judicial Intern to the Honorable Judge Reed O'Connor, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Summer 2012
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Haynes Boone Associate Mike McArthur was featured in a World IP Review article. Below is an excerpt: As the settled Miramax v Tarantino case failed to yield much-anticipated answers to licensing disputes involving non-fungible tokens, what key questions remain? … As Haynes Boone associate Mike McArthur points out, a key question in such cases will be whether the disputed licensing agreement “expli [...]