Michael Stoner is a counsel in the Litigation Practice Group in the Dallas office of Haynes and Boone. His practice focuses on insurance recovery, corporate and commercial litigation, and environmental law.
Prior to joining the firm, Michael worked at an insurance recovery firm in Southern California where he represented corporate policyholders and public entities to secure insurance coverage for first-party losses and third-party liabilities. While there, Michael represented his clients across various lines of insurance including CGL, EPL, D&O, E&O, cyber, crime, and Commercial Property policies.
While in law school, Michael served as a legal extern at the United States Embassy where he reviewed and drafted trial materials, assisted in trial preparation, researched international legal issues, and helped design and implement a new legal database for the Department of Justice, Civil Division, European Office.
Michael was a winning team member in the Pepperdine-Middle Temple Moot Court Competition held in London. Upon graduation, he was awarded membership into the Order of the Coif.
- ABA Section of International Law
- California State Bar Section of International Law
Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2022
- "Ethical Duty of Attorney to be Technologically Competent," Speaker, Association of Corporate Counsel Forth Worth Chapter, Fort Worth, TX, March 3, 2016.
- "Risk Radar: Hot Topics to Watch in the Coming Months (2015)," Author, Enforce, November 20, 2015.
- "Cyber-Insurance: Transferring New Risks Through An Old Arrangement In-House Symposium," Speaker, Dallas Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, Dallas, TX, May 8, 2015.
- "When is a vice-president a corporate officer for indemnification and insurance purposes?," Author, PropertyCasualty360, November 24, 2014.
- "Risk Radar: Hot Topics to Watch in the Coming Months (2014)," Author, Enforce, August 4, 2014.
- "Insurance Contract Language that Can Result in Denials or Delays of Coverage," Speaker, RIMS Hawaii Chapter, Honolulu, HI, July 17, 2014.
- "Insurance for Data Breaches in the Hospitality Industry," Speaker, The Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys Spring 2014 Meeting, Chicago, IL, April 25, 2014.
- "Insurance Coverage for Hotels Facing Fungi and Bacteria Claims," Author, Converge, June 14, 2013.
LL.M., International Law, American University Washington College of Law, 2010
J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law, 2009, magna cum laude
B.A., Carleton College, 2004
Extern at the United States Embassy, 2007
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Haynes and Boone, LLP has promoted to counsel 11 lawyers from the firm’s Austin, Dallas, Dallas-North, Denver, Houston, London, Orange County, Palo Alto, and San Francisco offices. The new counsel are Kelli Bills, Calmann Clements, Emily Fuller, Daniel Kwok, Taryn McDonald, Nick Monier, Kristin Santamaria, Hong Shi, Michael Smith, Robin Smith, and Michael Stoner. “We are pleased to promote th [...]