Former U.S. Ambassador Eduardo Aguirre is a senior advisor to Haynes and Boone in the Houston, Texas office. He is former U.S. ambassador to Spain and Andorra. His 40-year professional career includes significant contributions in banking, government service and the boardroom. Eduardo's experience includes eight years of service in the administration of President George W. Bush in three Senate confirmed senior-level executive positions, including director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and acting-chairman, vice-chairman and chief operating officer of the Export-Import Bank of the United States.
Prior to his government service, Eduardo's career focused on banking for 34 years, and he retired as president of the global division of Bank of America Private Banking. He is a graduate of the American Bankers Association's National Commercial Lending Graduate School, and is a Certified Commercial Lender.
Eduardo advises the firm on wide ranging topics including international business issues in Spain, Latin America and the Caribbean, and U.S. inbound investment, banking and finance, immigration and energy.
Eduardo holds honorary doctor "Honoris Causa" degrees from University of Connecticut in Storrs, Connecticut, University of Houston in Houston, Texas, and the Universidad Tecnológica de Santiago in the Dominican Republic. He is honorary professor at Beijing Polytechnic University and The Central University for Nationalities in Beijing, China.
- Texas Children's Hospital, 1999-present
- Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, 1991-present
- M. D. Anderson Cancer Foundation, 2009-present
- The Greater Houston Partnership, Chair, International Investment and Trade Committee, 2010-present
- George Bush School of Government and Public Service - Texas A&M University, 2011-present
- The University of Houston System, Board of Regents, 1995-2001; Chairman 1996-1998
- State Bar of Texas; Director (Non-attorney), 1990-1992
- Texas Bar Foundation, 1999-2003; Chairman, 2002
- NECO - Ellis Island Medal of Honor, 2009
- The Daughters of the American Revolution - Americanism Medal, 2004
- U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services - Outstanding American by Choice, 2007
- Delta Sigma Pi - International Fraternity - Outstanding Alumni, 1997; Career Award, 2000; Lifetime Achievement Award, 2004
- Houston's Community Partners - "Father of the Year," 2001
- Louisiana State University (LSU) - Hall of Distinction, 2004
- LSU's College of Business Administration - Hall of Distinction, 2005
- Operación Pedro Pan Group Inc. - The Monsignor Bryan O. Walsh Award, 2007
- Interfaith Ministries of Houston - Refugee Services Humanitarian Award, 2013
B.S., Louisiana State University