Raquel Alvarenga focuses her practice on counseling corporate clients on critical workplace issues such as hiring and firing decisions; non-competition agreements; wage-and-hour laws; whistleblower matters; discrimination, harassment and retaliation issues; employee complaints and discipline; workplace safety issues; and reasonable accommodation and leave requests.
Raquel has extensive experience litigating all manner of labor and employment disputes, including cases involving alleged discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, misappropriation of trade secrets, wage-and-hour claims and breach of contract.
Raquel regularly advises corporate clients on labor and employment issues in the context of major corporate transactions.
Raquel also has first-chair experience conducting internal investigations for corporate clients, non-profit organizations, and higher education institutions concerning allegations of employee misconduct and sexual assault.
- Obtained a favorable result in defending the owner of a high-profile New York City modeling agency against a claim for injunctive relief to enforce post-employment restrictive covenants.
- Secured a positive outcome in defending prestigious New York City art school against claims brought by a former employee alleging, among other things, injurious falsehood, slander, libel, conversion, and tortious interference with contract.
- Served as second chair in the defense of a foreign sovereign in connection with claims filed by a former employee under the Fair Labor Standards Act and state and local wage and hour laws.
- Defended an elite New York City private school against allegations of unfair labor practice charges in a high-profile matter before the National Labor Relations Board.
- Served as trial counsel for minority shareholders of famous restaurant brand in litigation regarding majority shareholders’ breach of fiduciary duty by licensing the brand’s intellectual property to themselves at well below the market rates.
- Secured defense verdict as lead trial counsel for non-profit pro bono client in replevin action following a 10-day bench trial in New Jersey Superior Court.
- Served as lead attorney in internal investigation on behalf of international public health agency based in Washington, D.C. regarding claims that a supervisor engaged in an inappropriate romantic relationship with a subordinate.
- Served as lead attorney in an internal investigation on behalf of multinational company concerning allegations that former employees engaged in self-dealing, private sector bribery and fraud.
- Conducted an investigation on behalf of a liberal arts college in Virginia in connection with student complaints alleging violations of Title VI and Title IX; and advised the college on revisions to existing policies and procedures concerning federal and state anti-discrimination and harassment laws.
- Conducted an investigation on behalf of a liberal arts college in New York concerning sexual misconduct allegations that a faculty member sexually assaulted another faculty member at an off-campus conference.
- Negotiated pre-discovery settlements and consent decrees on favorable terms for New York City restaurateur in lawsuits alleging violations of Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act and state and local disability laws.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for an international skincare retailer headquartered in Texas against claims of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, negligent supervision, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
* Some of these representations were handled prior to joining the firm.
- Included in the "Ones to Watch" category of Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2021-2022
- Recognized in the Dallas Business Journal’s 40 Under 40 Awards, American City Business Journals, 2021
- “COVID-19: Issues Affecting You, Your Family, and Your Company,” speaker, Financial Executives International (FEI) Dallas Chapter’s Monthly Meeting, April 13, 2020.
J.D., Cornell Law School, 2012
M.B.A., New York Institute of Technology, 2009, with highest distinction
B.A., Harvard University, 2007
Judicial Intern to the Honorable Justice Timothy S. Driscoll, New York State Supreme Court, 2010
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
A Haynes and Boone, LLP team led by Partner Ian Peck has been honored by the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) for its representation of Tuesday Morning Corporation in its successful reorganization and emergence from Chapter 11. Haynes Boone received the 2021 Large Company Turnaround/Transaction of the Year Award. The TMA Turnaround and Transaction Awards, among the most well known in the r [...]